Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-11-24
 My Plus/4 on PC TV Tuner card!

Hi all,

I just wanted to show this to everyone... Today I went out and bought a TV Tuner card for my PC (for $99 CAD). It handles both PAL & NTSC signals. Here is how my desktop looks when my real NTSC Plus/4 is plugged in, with YAPE running in the background:

A real Plus/4 inside a PC - click for bigger image

I'm pretty happy about this to say the least wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2002-11-24
 I use that too...

I too use that combo for the real machine as I don't own a TV (here)... However its drawback is that when you are attempting to use a program like 64HDD (or whatever it's called) you have to boot into DOS where you're unable to use the TV-card...

As far as I know there's also a Linux kernel driver that allows using your HDD as a disk drive for your Commodore and it can cope with the TV-card as well.... All this for free! I don't have the URL handy, but is anyone bothered at all??? happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-11-24
 Okay, then.

Is anyone bothered by what? I'm not sure I understood your point there. I'm still happy though. My PAL Plus/4's showed up on the tuner card as well, but they are in bad shape... Finally I have a good setup here so that I can start backing up stuff from my disks. This will hopefully mean more (rare) titles added to the software library happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-11-24
 Lando

yeah it is neat happy

Try running Tom Thumb, it will not display and Thrust the ship will flicker.... But for most things it's cool happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2002-11-25
 My point.

Well, I didn't mean to offend you wink I was just referring to the fact that probably nobody is here using Linux so it does not matter if there's a nice kernel driver wink

Anyway it's a very handy combination so don't get me wrong wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2002-11-25
 BTW

Lando: Tom did not flicker for me I did try it back then.... Strange that yours did...

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-11-25
 re:BTW

Attila: Maybe because I was running the original version and not a crack hehehe wink

Honestly Tom will not dispaly happy

You may of noticed on your TV screen that as soon as Tom loads the screen flickers for a moment as the Plus4 sync's into a new screen mode... and its down to this why I believe Tom, Thrust and the like will never run 100% correct as seen on a Plus4 wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-11-25
 No Tom

I don't know about new screen modes, but Tom didn't work on my NTSC Plus/4... As it turns out, like so many others, it's a PAL only game.

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-11-27
 RE: No Tom

It's a shame the old machines work like this.

Yeah I don't know the hitech side of what is happening here, but it's almost as if the Plus4 is running in NTSC even though I know you said it doesn't work. There is definitely less lines being used than the normal standard (as we know it) display. Look at yape with tom, yeah she runs sweet but the bottom 2 lines display wrong....

I'm probably wrong in my thinking, but after all these years and not seeing this sort of issue on the C64 (I don't recall) I have to think of something wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-11-29
 Tom on NTSC

Last night I hacked Tom Thumb a little bit. There are 3 places where it changes $FF07 (plus one in the init. routine). By changing those I was able to run Tom on my NTSC Plus/4 perfectly! The tuner card just picked up the image as always. happy I couldn't image why it would not run, you must be thinking of something else here, Lando... After all it is running on a real machine, and the machine outputs a video signal as always.

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-11-29
 lol

Good work on NTSC Tom happy

Umm.... Maybe my Plus/4 is duff (not)

I wonder.................... happy (im thinking now)

Yep I'll have 2 try again some day. I know why it did'nt display, because I was using my composite video lead. I must of been using it because its very rare for me to plug in the ariel lead because I use a BNC connection on my Plus4 all the time happy

I'll have to go through the test again and try the ariel lead aswell. And this has brought up another point (maybe)... Why is composite video doing this wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024