Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

George
on 2014-08-18
14:02:40
 Gamescom 2014 - Short Visit Report (pics)

Hello all together,
Today I was at Gamescom 2014 in Cologne (Germany), where I visited the Retrogaming-Corner. Cologne is about 60 km far from me.

This year was more or less the same as 2012 (I posted some photos), you had almost every Gameconsole of the 80's/90's, some Arcade-Machines and Flippers. Except of the really rare ones (which were behind a vitrine) you could play all consoles, Arcades and Flippers. For me, a collector and lover of this kind of stuff, it was a really a joy seeing all these machine set up and seeing kids about 20 year old or younger playing with them. I also heard a girl about 20 saying, that the retro corner was worth coming to this event.

There was a bunch of people, who presented some self-built racing and flying simulators, which were on a moveable platforms. Two of them also used Oculus Rift, the experimental VirtualReality-Glasses (some might remember: beginning of the 90's there was a try with a VR-Helmet). I think, the next step will be Games, which you play on these kind of things, especially Oculus Rift.

There also was a guy from the Amiga-Development team, who was selling his memoirs as a book.

The vitrines had some special machines or games collection, which I haven't seen in reality: e.g.: a Mattel Aquarius with a bunch of games, the famous Enterprise with some cassettes, some Japan Consoles, which I never heard of. There was an Intellivision with the famous keyboard.

The absolute Highlight for me was a Setup of "Daytona USA" (SEGA, PC-Version) with eight (!) Logitech Wheels and Pedals. You could race against other 7 people on the" Advanced" course. This game is an All-Time Evergreen and is really still a fun game to play. I spend most of my time there racing against kids and other youngsters. I had a really great time this evening.

Well, in my opinion, retro gaming will never be dead. The "old" video-games have their own attraction, especially, when you play them on a "real" machine, instead on an emulator. Especially the Arcade-Cabinets and the old Flippers brought in me a feeling of nostalgia. An Emulator never, never brings the feeling you have, when you play this games in reality. It's such a difference.

Pics

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024