Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-08-11
08:28:33
 Re: Evoke 2014

George: I think that's quite the point: most of us don't know what's going on.

I found an analogy which fits quite well: LEGO. This is like LEGO. We all play, we build our little houses and cars. Wow, I made a cool car! The colors fit, the doors open, it's honestly neat. Let's post it here. Am I a cool LEGO builder or what?

Then you see something like this: http://mocpages.com/image_zoom.php?mocid=376415&id=/user_images/8573/1386889996m

And it's like... Whaaaa?... Is that even LEGO? Are you sure?

At that point, I have no business event commenting on it at all. And apparently, no, I'm not a cool LEGO builder. No matter how much time I put into it, no matter how much I learn, I'll never, ever do something this good. It's just... so far beyond my skill.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate these for what they are. These awesome, beautiful, they are truly pieces of art! But let's face it any kind of competition (and both LEGO building and demo writing has a competitive element) is out of the question.

But, just like with LEGO, there's still things left to enjoy: we can still collect (or, in Plus/4 terms, manage the database, etc), fiddle with little things here and there. LEGO is fun to play with, no matter what, so (hopefully) we'll be around for a long while to come. And who knows, we may yet build some stuff that can still be appreciated on its own merit.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024