Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-04-24
06:38:17
 C=264 colours in hi-res?

Hello.

How many colours can be used simultaneously in the hi-res mode? 16?
this one looks very colourful http://plus4world.powweb.com/dl/screenshots/d/dizzy_fantasy_main.gif although has only 15 colours on the screen.

Would it mean the hi-res can display 16 colours - but _any_ colours from the full 121 palette?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-04-24
07:46:08
 Re: C=264 colours in hi-res?

All 121 colors can be used.

By default: In hi-res graphic model, only 2 colors per 8x8 pixel area (character), but no restriction on which colors it can be. In character mode, any one color per character and a fixed background color, which is the same for the entire screen.

If you use raster bars, FLI, or other TED tricks, these limitations can be overcome.

That image looks like that because it's been converted from C64, which does have a 16 colors max restriction.

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-04-24
12:56:13

Thx Csabo. happy
Btw, are there any gfx converters of 1-bit (black/white) pictures from PC to 264?

What I mean is a pic that is 320x200 (that's the hires resolution, I presume?) can be loaded into any 264 graphic editor and coloured with all the 121 colours (with 8x8 areas of course).

And what gfx editor for such a thing would be the best? (If there's such a converter too).

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-04-25
11:56:00

My editor can do this (import a hires 320x200 two color image and let you edit it). It's never gotten very popular with graphicians though, I don't think any of the Big Names use it.

For a converter, use the one that comes with Plus4Emu. It has a GUI front-end as well. It's very popular, you'll find a lot of threads here in the forum about it. Once you have a converted PRG, you can probably use Botticelli. Or simply color the image in your choice of PC graphics program, and use the converter as the final step.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-04-25
12:48:27

Dunno about Big Names but I use Csabo's editor quite often. Unfortunately the gfx I did with it stucked into a dead project...

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-04-26
08:06:54

Csabo:

> My editor can do this (import a hires 320x200 two color image and let you edit it).
----------------
Oh, that's very interesting. In what format the hires 320x200 two colour image must be? BMP?

> It's never gotten very popular with graphicians though, I don't think any of the Big Names use it.
------------------------
I tent to pay attention rather on the programs' functionality. Caould You provide me a link/URL to the program?

> For a converter, use the one that comes with Plus4Emu. It has a GUI front-end as well. It's very popular, you'll find a lot of threads here in the forum about it.
-----------
I will look for it, thanks a lot.

> Once you have a converted PRG, you can probably use Botticelli.
------------
Yupp, it's similar to ZX ArtStudio but seems to be rather slow.
Even this is OK, but Seems like it has one a few colours and You mentioned there is a prog to use all 212 colours in hires (in 8x8 colours). That is what I would be lookin' for, actually.

> Or simply color the image in your choice of PC graphics program, and use the converter as the final step.
------------------
Ah well, the problem is I really like to use original soft (even if on emulators only) and I don't like the converting very much. I mean I do it, when it's necessary but I rather minimize it, if possible.
Like described here http://hooyprogram.republika.pl/gfx/yerzmyey_graphic.html
They are kind of pics I wanted to try to make on C=264 - the 'comic-book-like' ones.
Yupp, my pictures are ugly and stupid but I like making them, and also I got used to 8x8 colours.

So having that - and 121 colours - that would be very interesting to me. Hence my questions. happy

Luca:
If You have some free moment of time, You could drop me the prog into
yerzmyey AT interia.pl

Greetzzzzz,
Y

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-04-26
10:44:01

Yes, BMP will work. It's listed under "Tools" (click Tools then look for the "Crossplatform Graphics" section).

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-04-27
15:24:36

Thanks a lot, I've just downloaded it:
http://plus4world.powweb.com/tools/Csabos_Gfx_Edit

If You'd find some time to help me with it. Maybe also other readers could be interested.

I made some test 320x200 black/white BMP (1bit) but then I imported it into the prog, the colours are changed. The pic is inverted and not with b/w but with some dark-grey and bright-grey.
Would it be possible to have b/w screen imported, just like it looks on PC?

Another thing - I choose colours from the lower palette but when I click up - on the screen - to draw, it makes dots but doesn't change colours (still uses those 2 greys).

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-04-27
15:45:56

Let's see each of your issues one by one.

The import only pulls in the bitmap, it's exactly for pulling in 1 bit hires graphics. The colors are irrelevant, you can color them anything you like in a few keystrokes. (If you do want to keep the colors, you can use the above mentioned converter.) Here's how you set the colors:
1) Press CTRL+A (or choose Edit | Select All) to select the entire picture
2) Use ALT+Cursor to select the background color you like in the bottom palette (or simply click the color with your mouse)
3) Press ALT+0 to set that color as the background. Since your selection is the entire picture, it will be applied to everything.
4) Do the same as 2) for the foreground color, and press ALT+1.

This answers your second question as well, just clicking a color on the palette doesn't change anything, you have to set that selected color either as background (ALT+0) or foreground (ALT+1). (If you're using multicolor mode, ALT+2 and ALT+3 work as well, since you have a total of 4 colors).

There are all mentioned in the help, just choose Help | Keyboard commands.

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-04-27
19:04:02

Thank You very much.

Another question then - as for drawing in 1-bit mode, I can draw with clicking mouse.
However - how to "erase" pixels instead of drawing?

________EDIT___________
Ah, 1,2,3,4. I see.
OK, it's getting more and more interesting. :)

____________EDIT_2__________________
Now - I exported the test "pic" into the PRG file but when I load it into the YAPE, it shows nothing, only
READY.
Is it normal (should I load it in any specific way or on any program/editor/viewer?)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-04-27
21:38:53

It's saved in a pretty standard way, from $1800-$3F40 (but I guess you have to know at least a bit of programming to know what's going on there). Just type GRAPHIC1 and press Enter to see it.

Displaying it from machine code is pretty simple, there's examples of this in the released demo sources, in Plus4IDE, and probably here on the forum as well. Anyway, let me know if this is something you need help with.

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-04-29
11:25:00

Haaa, thanks a lot, I will be testing it soon! wink
I'll ask in case of any problems, if You don't mind. wink

__________EDIT_____________
Hehe, I spent yesterday several hours making some idiotic picture. ;) And the same will be today. ;)
I could even send it to any contest/party but I don't think there is any lately.
Although the pic obviously would have the last place, hahahha. ;)
Haha, AROK is in July. ;) BEWARE! ;)

That's strange - today I can't force it to draw dots (1bit). It draws only attributes (8x8) which is strange...

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-04-29
17:55:20

for B&W conversion you can use Plus4Emu in the way that you convert your picture to 320x200, reduce color to 1, then convert it with "no dithering" setting in Plus4Emu GXF converter GUI.

In fact, you should test some pictures with 256 grey colors, how well the converter turns it into greyscale images, even with normal multicolor mode
http://my.opera.com/MMSZoli/albums/showpic.dml?album=6763602&picture=102120602

http://my.opera.com/MMSZoli/albums/showpic.dml?album=6817932&picture=102825962

http://my.opera.com/MMSZoli/albums/showpic.dml?album=6817932&picture=102825852#bigimg

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-04-29
18:18:48

Thx a lot man, I will check dis out too.

Meanwhile I must say that the Csabo's graphic program RULEZ BIG TIME!!
Really great work, I had two days of real fun with it.
I even managed to make a picture (that I sent to the AROK's 264-gfx-compo and I'm totally sure they will not accept it in preselection, hahahahahahahahaha).

Soon I will make more idiotic comic-book-like pictures for Plus/4, heheh. Fantastic utility. wink wink

Posted By

Csio
on 2013-04-29
19:26:30

The first plus/4 entry was born, i guess! wink
Yeah YERZMYEY, you are great!

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-04-30
17:37:56

Haha, I wouldn't be so sure - my graphix are CRAP. happy

**********EDIT*****************
You will never guess what I've got a moment ago. ;)
"Hi,
thank you, it's accepted. We will think about releasing it in the wild compo or in the gfx compo :)"
So it's possible it will not be in the 264 gfx compo (well, I would loose _heavily_ ;) ) although I'd prefer it to be in the gfx 264 compo after all ;) as I love the platform. :)
Anywayz. Supposedly it will be in the Wild-Compo then. ;) So search for the most idiotic pic in the 264 world, while the Party. :) :) :) :)
Hehe, having the last place - means FUN!! ;) Hahahaha.

Posted By

Csio
on 2013-04-30
19:03:28

Never mind, just see the score of this picture from Arok too wink
http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Die_Katastrophe

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-05-01
15:12:06