Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Dr. Optigan
on 2013-04-04
21:00:51
 3-in-1 "break" issue

Hello everyone. I recently acquired a Plus/4 at a swap meet. Booted it up, and BASIC seems to be working fine (have no software to run on it). Unfortunately, it seens to have an issue with the built-in software. After pressing F1 and then Return, the splash screen comes up, then abruptly cuts to a vertical cascade of the word "break" in yellow text on a black screen. Reminds me of the results of using the GOTO command in BASIC to print the word numerous times, only pressing Run/Stop has no effect (holding the C= key does slow it down, but none of the other keys seem to have any effect). Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks in advance!
-Adam

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-04-05
02:17:10
 Re: 3-in-1 "break" issue

At first glance, it looks like one of the two dedicated IC fails running the WP. You should try changing C317053-01 or C317055-01 as initial attempt.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-04-05
04:22:42

Indeed there is a fault if you also see 3-PLUS-1 ON KEY F1 on the Plus/4 boot screen and it's doing this... as Luca says.

Also, these roms can also be removed for good and no harm is done from not having them as the Plus/4 will fall back to what I would call a Commodore 16 with 64k of memory. 3-PLUS-1 ON KEY F1 will no longer display and GRAPHIC will replace it on the F1 key. As long as there is nothing else wrong with the computer the machine will function properly minus the built in software which is all that would be removed.

Posted By

Dr. Optigan
on 2013-04-06
11:57:01

Thanks for the suggestions. The 3-PLUS-1 message indeed does appear on the boot screen, and when F1 is pressed, the text "SYS 1525: 3-PLUS-1" appears. Are either of those ICs available without resorting to a parts unit? Once again, thanks!
-Adam

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-04-06
15:03:00

if you already change the Rom, may worth to burn such eprom eats 10x less current, and may contain something more useful. You may get some hints what to put into that 32k rom instead of that never used 3-in-1 package (eg. a disc fastloader, assembler, disccopy, etc). Maybe the fantastic SVS Calc could be put on eprom format too? (treated as the best ever made C= spreadsheet prg)

Posted By

crock
on 2013-04-10
12:25:32

If you're set on having the originals, I have many spares of those. PM me your address and I'll send you a set.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024