Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Bacon
on 2002-09-25
 Newbie: Best games for Plus4?

I finally got a working Plus4 and 1551 drive! Now, since I've only played a few games on emulators before (only had a C64 before), I'm wondering which games I should transfer to real disks.
I'll start with P.O.D. because that's a great game, but what next?

Bacon

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-25
 Plus/4 Games

If I were you, I would probably want to play the games that current emulators don't run. You like RPGs? If so, start with Bard's Tale III... (see topic below titled 'Question') It's a HUGE game, and a really cool one to. 4 sides. If you want to play it through, you will be occupied for a few weeks...

Then there's: Magic Candle (!!), The Goonies, Karateka (!), Battery II, Jerry's Quest (!!), Hollywood Poker Pro, Fish, Ingrid's Back, Borrowed Time (!!) and I could go on... Aww man, all these cool games.

Posted By

Bacon
on 2002-09-25
 Thanks!

I have Bard's Tale III as disk originals for the C64, but I've only briefly tried it (started playing Pool of Radiance instead). Can I use the C64 version's manual with the Plus/4 version?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-25
 Sure

Yes, the two versions should be identical, since the Plus/4 version was converted from C=64. Do you mean you actually have the disk covers and manuals? Wow! That sounds pretty cool. How about scanning them?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-25
 One more idea...

You could also play Oblido. It's one of my all time favourites on Plus/4...

Posted By

(no name)
on 2002-09-25
 Sorry to disappoint you...

...but I only have the disks. I bought a C128 from a guy a year ago and the original disks came with it, but apparently he lost the box and instructions back in the ancient times.

I downloaded the manual from Project 64, but they only have the C64 version, hence my question.

Posted By

Bacon
on 2002-09-25
 The last post came from Bacon

Sorry, forgot to write my name.

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-09-25
 Some classics to be had.

Tom Thumb is top of the list and must not be missed happy

Ace +4
Arthur Noid
Auto Zone
Bandits at Zero
Berks 3
Big Mac
Blagger
BMX Racer
Bongo
Cave Fighter
Cops N' Robbers
Death Race 16
Demolition
Ding Bat
Exorcist
Fingers Malone
Fire Ant
G-Man
Ghost Town
Gunlaw
Guzzler
Icicle Works
Invasion 2000 AD
Jetbrix
KikStart
Las Vegas
Laser Zone
Legionnare
Magician's Curse
Mercenary
Moon Buggy
Mr. Puniverse
Myriad
Pacmania
Phantom
Pin Point
Power Ball
Rescue from Zylon
Robin to the rescue
Robo Knight
Rockman
Space Pilot
Squirm
Strip Poker
Summer Events
Survivors, The
Sword of Destiny
Time Slip
Tom Thumb
Trailblazer
Treasure Island
Tutti Frutti
Video Meanies
Void Runner
Winter Events
Zolyx

Have fun happy

Posted By

Bacon
on 2002-09-26
 Fun fun fun!

Thanks Csabo and Lando! Seems I have my spare time cut out to me for the next few months happy

BTW, I tried Tom Thumb and Bard's Tale III yesterday. There seems to be a problem with the version of Tom+ that I downloaded (from c64.rulez I think). I can't die in the game! AKAIK I didn't turn any cheats on. Or is it my Plus/4?

Bard's tale seems to be fun. Loading the game on the 1551 drive is fast! Seems to be even faster than my JiffyDOS-equipped 1541-II.

Csabo: I can scan the Bard's Tale III disk labels and covers if you like. At least it's something.

Posted By

Mosh
on 2002-09-26
 Great 264 games

Firstly, JACK ATTACK! 64 levels of squashing them damn heads. And it runs like lightning on a plus4.

Most Mastertronic games are great fun, as are most Gremlin games. I've been collecting games lately, so I'm starting to find really cool games, like some of the Tynesoft games.

THRUST!

Posted By

Noro
on 2002-09-26
 Tom Thumb cheated version

Bacon, take Tom_Thumb.prg from c64.rulez.org, tomthumb.prg from here or tom_16.prg from c16.de; they are not cheated (in contrast of tom+.prg)

As of top games I agree with Lando & the others, but definately add also BOUNDER (also not very good playable on emulators)

My other suggestions:

Monty On The Run
Auf Wiedersehen Monty
Locomotion
Molecule Man
Prospector Pete
Terra Cognita
Terra Nova
Xargon Wars

A lot of fun

Posted By

Gaia
on 2002-09-26
 Small list of mine

I always adored those programs that were native to the plus/4. There are some real gems that should not be missed, like:

• Platina

• Dudaorrú Patric

• Menekülés

• Indoor Sports

• Super Cobra

• Dorks Dilemma

And of course a lot more, but most of them have already been mentioned. Have fun!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-26
 Good games / "Bad" games

Wow, we really do have some amazing games! This actually gave me an idea: how about a ranking system for the database? This sort of question (what are the better games) comes up very often. Maybe by having some sort of guide (stars from 1 to 5), it would be a good service for the people who don't know a particular game.

Of course we would have to agree on what's considered good and not so good. happy Well, I have ideas by the truck load, but who's going to sit down and rank those 2300~some pieces of software? wink (me!)

Posted By

Bacon
on 2002-09-27
 Good idea!

Go look at Lemon64's games section (http://www.lemon64.com) to get some inspiration. Kim Lemon invites people to send him a review of a game and he provides a template for it. In addition, anyone can grade a game online and leave a comment about it. It's a great way to learn what games are good and why.

BTW, thanks everybody for the tips! I must add that this site (and the excellent Plus4/C16 emulators!) is what made me discover the Plus4 a couple of years ago, which lead to my finally bying one this month. Keep up the good work!

Posted By

Noro
on 2002-09-27
 Games ranking would be very cool and helpful!

I think noone is going to rank all 2300 pieces of software, but the personal 100-200 favorite games wink
I would vote for a detailed ranking for gameplay/graphics/sound/originality with a overall score with the possibility of comments.

Posted By

Noro
on 2002-09-27
 And what about hiscores?

In this context I remembered that Lando wanted to make a Winter Events hiscores page a long time ago...

I would like hiscores pages for a lot of my favorite games (Winter & Summer Events, Tom Thumb, P.O.D and many more ...).

I know there is no way to check if the hiscores are real and made with not-cheated versions of the games but I think this is not a real problem in our small and well-known community.
And I think this should be technically possible with the new database based site.

Csabo, I know it would be a lot of work for You to set this up but it would be a nice motivation to challenge all the good games again...

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-09-27
 Lando

yeah guys I did miss some of the top games out from 1985-1988 as Bacon has grown up with the C64 under his belt. Always a little hard to look at something on a new machine without trying to comapair what you've played before wink

Sure many are awesome as like Bounder, but in this case you have to appreciate what was done. As we did'nt know any different we loved it to death happy

A 5 star award system would be cool, but allowing people to vote could be tricky with false votes finding their way in, Lemon has had it's fair share of this But if you can pull it off Csabo that would be great. I don't mind if we just limit it to the die hards amoung us to cast the votes so between us we get a true-ish reading???

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-09-27
 RE: Winter Events High Scores

This was a cool idea, I started work on the page then I relized how nasty things would become. As it is and was there was no standard to save the World Records on most Plus4 emu's. CP4 was top as it has D64 save, but Biathlon did'nt work correct. Some how I managed to get Minus4 Dos to save acouple of times but I could not do it again???? I needed the hard facts on paper so I could tell other how 2

Yape was messy at the time, same bug as CP4 and only .FRE (snapshot) could be used to save. Again PC .FRE can't be loaded with any Amiga emu's nor Amiga's .FRE be loaded with PC emu's. I did ask Ati once if he could support it wink (was'nt worth it seeing as I was really the only user of all emu's).

Winemu .FRE again..

Now Yape can save the WR's to TAP happy which is nice.

And last of all you could if you had the stuff copy your wr.prg file from your plus4 floopy over happy Or as it is now create a .tap of your WR's tape wink

Does this all sound mad and crazy to you?

Truth is we need D64 save to make a standard for Winter/Summer WR's.
Yes I can use everything, but sadley many of you can't

Now you can see the page was going to become a nitemare and thats why I never finished it

Posted By

Bacon
on 2002-09-27
 Comparing C64 to Plus/4

Lando: I have no problem whatsoever appreciating the Plus/4 on its own terms. If I did, I wouldn't have hunted one down on ebay (it's expensive to buy one from Germany which seems to be the only place to get them from. The shipping to Sweden costs almost as much as the computer itself. But I digress...). happy

I think the Plus/4 is a amazing computer in its own right and a great game is a great game no matter what. I play games on my VIC-20 without ever comparing them to C64 games. It's just a matter of putting yourself in the right state of mind. When I'm using my Plus/4, neither my modern PC nor my C128 exists. That's what retrocomputing is all about for me.

So bring it on! If you love a C16/Plus4 game, chances are I will at least like it, even if I have no nostalgic realtionship with it. happy

Posted By

Mike
on 2002-09-29
 (no topic)

Lando! Your lucky you did that list in Alphabetical order! Or you would have an argument on your hands!! :D

Csabo... How about a vote system like Lemon64 has? That way it would all "average out"?

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-09-29
 lol

For Mike:

yeah I see your point and very true that would be happy
I did start from say Tom Thumb and so on, but as my spelling sucks and it was late 2-3am I copyed/paste all the game names looking down the index (with piccys of course) hehehe.

Posted By

Noro
on 2002-09-30
 High scores... & ranking

I think the simplest way would be to enter the hiscore(s) as text, maybe documented by a screenshot. This would work for any game (not only Winter/Summer Events).

The entering of hiscores should be only possible with the site login.

A login should be also required for games ranking.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024