Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Overdoc
on 2013-02-20
12:42:13
 Yape cannot save files to .tap cassette image ?

Hi 264 fans!

I have been trying to create a .tap cassette image with some C16 games for hours, but everything I try fails for some reason
I first tried to create a .ap image from Vice C16, but there is a bug: Vice always creates a .tap image with C64 header, so I think it would also write files with wrong puls-lengths (calculated for C64) when saving files to the .tap image.

So, I now tried Yape, and it creates a correct C16 .tap image.
However, Yape seems to be unable to save files to the .tap image ?

This what I did:
- start Yape
- create a .tap image (menue tape -> create tape)
- attach this .tap image (menue tape -> attach tape)
- write a small program like: 10 PRINT"TEST" 20 GOTO 10
- save this program to cassette: SAVE"TESTPROGRAM"
- click record on the virtual cassette (menue tape -> record)
- after saving click stop (menue tape -> stop)
- detach tape (menue tape -> detach tape)
- exist Yape (menue file -> exit)

When I check the .tap image after this, it is still empty (25 bytes) ?!

I did the same in Vice, and at leats it saves the file (not instantly, but when I exit the emulator)
However, since I am not sure about Vice writing the correct pulses, I don't want to use it.

Thanks for any help!

Posted By

Litwr
on 2013-02-21
10:57:25
 Re: Yape cannot save files to .tap cassette image ?

Did you try '+4forever?' emulator? wink IMHO it is the best to play with tapes. It uses unique CTF format for the tape image. It allows to see every tape's block. CTF may be easily converted to TAP. The mentioned emulator is for DOS. However it runs well with Virtual Box or any other good virtualizer.
Plus4emu may also be good for this task. I didn't test it for the tape creation. It looks that it has no way to create an initial empty TAP-file.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2013-02-21
16:52:54

Hello Overdoc, the "Attach TAP" step is not required when recording. With that you just close the created empty TAP and reopen it in read only mode so it will be empty in the end.

Posted By

Overdoc
on 2013-02-22
05:59:09

Hi Gaia,

Thanks a lot for this info! I will try it today evening.

However, for me it was just logical to attach a a .tap image before working with the virtual datasette, in the same way like I put a real cassette in the datasette before saving anything to it.

On the other hand, how I can save multiple files to the same .tap image in more than one session ?
I think it would be a benefit to be able to attach .tap files in write mode, as well (maybe integrate a checkbox, where it is possible to select read only or write mode ?!)

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024