Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-08-13
11:28:44
 Re: Insane new demo in Bauknecht quality

I needed more hours than I forecasted to spend some words about this milestone in the 264 machines demoscene, a production that seriously tends to kill any wish of coding something further on the same platform. Said that way, it sounds like something sad and negative, and of course it's not, it doesn't wanna be that way happy
Because of this, first of all, all my congrats to the ppl involved in the Metamerism project, despite jobs wifes home and sons. And, no one perceive it as offensive, a particular thought to Degauss, a friend toward whom no physical distance or time lapse can decrease my respect, friendship and empathy happy

Taking back to my previous words, my real hope is that Metamerism will become a 'ceiling' which covers many future 'little' or 'fast' or 'average' products, released even for fun with no fear of comparision with it (Édesanyám is a now classic example of freedom and fun).
What is a very good thing, is that Metamerism seals once forever what anybody can now recognize as the distinguishing effects of the machine, deriving from the combination of limitations and features (i.e.: the damn 'white snow' effect, the doublelined DMA cycles, but the extended palette too): Metamerism shows perfect control of the single displayed scanline, and definitively looks like the evolution of the freeline technology used in Questionmark, hence like the champion of a dozen addresses managing from $ff12 to $ff1f.

Let's see the demo.

The title effect puzzled me alot: though similar to a plasma tunnel, it seems to me working like a fire effect with no random component, where the values per element are spiral-rotated toward the outside.

The fake all-around moving rasterbars effect seems to be a quite smart trick, that probably manages the multicolor chroma/luma data in order to move'em in a sort of cartesian space. It somewhat reminds me of Hurryup-flisplit by Csio, in a much complex suit. The part also shows a Plus/4 absolute first 'growth' effect (no random component).

The zooming DYPP seems to be pure multicolour power coding, which steals a variable number of frames depending from how much graphics must be deleted/drawn in that particular moment of the scrolling text (average is 3 frames for the normal up to 5 frames when the letters get bigger). Fantastic. Hey but... NUOOOO, no greetings for FIRE! This put me down alot Does it mean we've to release something to scream we're alive, even if a simple oldschool intro? happy

A superfast colormask fullscreen plasma and life turns to beautiful happy

The marble column, oooh THAT checkered column! <3 I've included this effect in the twisters'family, just because it looks like manipulating $ff12/$ff1a/$ff1b/$ff1f with a trick on $ff06 in order to avoid badlines, just like real twisters do. Actually it resembles some flexi chessboards we've seen before, but we've never challenged before this perfect complexity of coloured cleaness!

Ok, here we are, the checkered horizontal twister. Nothing can currently beat this effect, we all loved it at first sight.
I think this is the first twister which has dedicately been renderized and then converted and managed directly in order to make it work in zoom4 (thanks forever for that, bubis!), so a checkered one would fit truly well, due to how the zoom4 works. Moreover, this twister seems to use 4x2px (2x2 MC pixels) defined boxes to refresh at 1.87 frames ca.
What can I say more? It's astonishing!

Shutterlike shadebobs on (preshuttered, haha) title while loading.

Bitmap zoomer, I have nothing to say, it works in one frame in a disarming easiness, that effect terrificly devastated me inside :o

The final tunnel has been thought in the right size to run it at 50Hz, one single frame, and on the big screen I bet it was spectacular. Lavina is right, he will enjoy it at best on a 42'' TV! It uses the same resolution of the checkered twister, with an incredibly rich palette table, and definitely consecrates this hardcore graphic code.

We are now waiting for the standalone music as usual BKN bonus. Much time will pass until someone else will be able to pair at least in part this fantastic piece of art. But! Waiting for that time, I'm sure Metamerism will push other little/average/great releases for our machine to magically pop out, and as bonus it will force hardcore democoders even from other scenes to face the TED's beast and try to beat it by their general experience.
Degauss, Mad, Nero, Krill: thanks and thanks again for this! <3

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024