Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-07-11
16:34:48
 Null modem?

I finally got around trying the null modem cable I have purchased from Chris' shop back around 2006 or so... happy Since I no longer have a PC with a parallel port nor do I have (yet) SD2IEC or xu1541 this could be my only bet for now (apart from Marko Mäkelä's C2N232/CBMLINK which I can't locate ATM).

Since there was no instruction or documentation attached to the device I assumed that it was meant to use Mike Dailly's null modem uploader/receiver (1 kb!). I typed the entire 1kb receiver (ah, the good ole times) into my plus/4's machine code monitor, did a primitive checksum on it (using EOR) to see I did not screw up anything and off I went... and waited... and waited. Well, it does not work! Has anyone here had luck with the thing? What port settings should I use on the PC side? Even the slowest xfer rate does nothing at all (though it should only really matter if the receiver uses polling intead of IRQ I guess)...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-07-12
13:46:50
 Re: Null modem?

As TLC pointed it out to me, MikeD's cable uploader is - even though it's called a null "modem" cable - a parallel port one. So it can not work on the serial port either happy Doh. I should have read the documentation. But the question remains, whether anyone has used such a thing - let that be serial or parallel - with success.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024