Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

carrion
on 2012-07-10
15:56:17
 Slow Plus4Emu

Hi there
I just switched laptop from Dell Insire to Lenovo Thinkpad (T420) and noticed that Plus4Emu works really slow when I use display quality set to 3 (2 is slow as well). It works kinda faster with quality set to 1, and works normally when no PAL fx is on.
What might be the cause? Is it some DirectX drivers issue?
On the theoreticaly slower machine (Dell) it worked just fine, well it even works faster on VMWare on Mac OS X.
Any advice?

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-10
16:16:21
 Re: Slow Plus4Emu

Have you tried Yape? Yape is great on my Note Book running Windows 7! happy

Link: http://yape.plus4.net/

Posted By

carrion
on 2012-07-10
16:22:22

Yes i tried it. It's kool but I get used to Plus4Emu and especially to it's PAL emulation
Besides I can't get Yape to work on fullscreen (on any of my machines)

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-10
16:28:54

I set Yape to 400x300 (4:3) and then press ALT & RETRUN. It does not save these setting but I can have almost full screen on my PC screen. Or on a laptop you could use VGA out and use an external screen and it will run, display ok.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-07-10
16:39:24

Oddly, although plus4emu targeted "the" perfect emulation it was better optimized to run on slow hardware. You may try using software rendering (but that's perhaps quality 1, not sure...). In 2010 I looked into the code a bit deeply because I was playing with the idea of doing a proper Windows port (with the wonderful WTL) and it struck me a bit that its OpenGL driver was composing the video output from a multiple of weirdly sized vertexes, instead of just one. I never really understood why. So if someone is familiar with OpenGL, the source is out there and it can be fixed.

Posted By

MMS
on 2012-07-10
19:46:46

Well, I think OPENGL is the key. If you have proper drivers, no issue. Intel gfx card known to have the worst drivers, some HD versions got the proper driver only 1 year after release. HD3000 raw hardware is fast, but the drivers are kind iof questionmark for me.

If you have the quadri Nvidia version of T420, OPENGL should work like a charm.

I also prefer Quality 3 setting of Plus4Emu, and it works well on HD2600Pro AGP and HD6570 PCI-E cards. Maybe I should try once on my integrated VGA too...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024