Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-14
04:48:43
 Re: Joysticks?

Hi Paul,

It could be MMS trick...

I hate to say this as well but I believe both your TED chips may of messed up even tho the machine in general is running fine other wise. The ports are wired directly to TED and there is nothing to protect them at all. It only takes a stick or pad that's wired wrong and it will damage the TED, maybe not straight away but soon enough.

I have a TED upstairs I took out of a C16 last month which does the same thing and it was the Megadrive pad that killed it in the end. The machine had been stashed away for years and I got it out to have a mess about with my son on the big TV, he didn't get on with joysticks so I gave him an official 6 button MD pad. Next night I pressed the stick swapping games by chance before loading and I noticed mine was doing the same, "BREAK device 0" and printing random characters all over the screen.

I hocked the TED out of a faulty spare plus4 and the C16 is running perfect again.

Zip sticks/Competition Pro C64/Amiga style should be fine for the C16/Plus4 as I have them here which I use all the time, the Zip with yellow buttons which was more remembered as a stick for the Amiga. My other stick which is sacred is a Competition PRO transparent plastic red buttons which I've had since 1988 still going strong, (Micro switch change over the years and greased the rubber holder for the stick to keep it moist) and has been fine on my Plus4 & C64. Both C64 9pin ended, both using the same adapters I have used for years and the very ones that I used with the MD pad. I've been messing about with this C16 for a number of weeks since TED change using only both my sticks and she's running sweet.

If it's the same fault as my TED and regardless of what you see on the basic screen when pressing it...
As a test using a C64/Amiga Zip Stick or Comp Pro.
Load a machine code programmed game and you may find the stick will work properly as the code has readdressed the problem. If this is the case then your ok for now to play games on it. And again if this is so then the only way to solve the problem is to get a new TED. If not try MMS idea by cutting the plastic edge off of one of the adapters so it goes in more inside the port just in case it's a lack of contact on the pins as this has been a fault in the past with some adapters. With me this was not so, the adapters are as old as my Comp Pro and are working fine on the C16 right now, the pins inside are longer than the original Plus/4 joystick, outer metal is the same size.

Really sorry you are having a right bastard of a time just getting any machine to work.

BTW do NOT plug in the MD pad again. Only C64/Amiga joysticks. Keep it basic, no fancy auto fires ect...
Here is a topic from last month that when you get more time have a read.
Topic: Joysticks & Joypads questions

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024