Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

RRS
on 2012-04-17
12:11:43
 MobyGames starts cataloguing Commodore 16 and Plus/4 games

I'm pleased to announce that http://www.mobygames.com, one of the biggest video game databases on the net, has started cataloguing games released for Commodore 16 and Commodore Plus/4.
Just the first week brought us about 90 game entries for these platforms, more to come.

Everyone is invited to join in, as any info would be appreciated in the combined effort of documenting gaming history!

Posted By

Chronos
on 2012-04-17
13:03:25
 Re: MobyGames starts cataloguing Commodore 16 and Plus/4 games

i'm really glad to hear that!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-04-17
14:01:35

Awesome, best of luck with that!

Also, I'd like to add that Plus/4 World is also cataloguing games released for C=16 and Plus/4. The first fourteen years brought us exactly 3075 games, but there will be more to come! Everyone is invited to join in, so, if by any chance, there ARE people out there who want to help out with this, we're here happy

Posted By

RRS
on 2012-04-19
02:52:30

MobyGames started 13 years ago as PC only website, some very popular platforms (like 8bit Atari) were added fairly late - and it shows (read: relatively low number of entries).

You'll always have the upper hand - MobyGames doesn't catalog "unofficial" releases (hacks), while they may be mentioned as trivia.

Speaking of which, how do I search for commercial releases only? I used:
http://plus4world.powweb.com/search/Distribution/Commercial_TA
...and the results are capped at 100 entries?
Is it possible to search by size?

BTW, I already spotted fellow MobyGamer Trypticon here wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-04-19
08:03:05

Mmmmm, something is going wrong with it: /Commercial_TA, /Commercial_PD and /Commercial show up to 100 titles, it looks like a limit. Csabo I think it's up to you wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-04-19
09:27:15

I took one look...

Trailblazer and the bottom line was this: "A simultaneous 2-player mode is included, similar to the split-screen mode in the Lotus games (by the same authors)".

Lazy copy and paste from some where or is it an, "unofficial" release???

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-04-19
10:33:50

Lando, I think they have a general description for the game which is for all platforms. Obviously the C16 version did not have the 2-player mode.

I don't want to get into this too much, but if someone REALLY wanted to find out about Trailblazer for the C=16... Wouldn't it make sense to direct them toward a page that already has pretty much everything (including download, cheats, links to emulators)? But no, it's clear that they don't care about the established machine-specific communities - Lemon64, WoS, GenerationMSX, Plus/4 World etc. all acknowledge and link to each other. Well, anyway, like I said I wish you guys good luck and lots of ad revenue. happy

The search feature in question is not exactly secret, but it's not finished and I don't remember putting up those links on any of the pages. How did you even come across it?

Posted By

Trypticon
on 2012-04-19
12:01:43
 Re: MobyGames starts cataloging Commodore 16 and Plus/4 games

The owners/founders/site maintainers of Moby don't even care that much about their own community. Direct-linking to an external database is however problematic as least in case of the sites that carry downloads or other stuff without having full copyrights.
I think the UVlist where I'm also occasionally contributing did at some point in the past link to system-specific sites. Lemon Amiga is still listed as an affiliate for example.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-04-19
12:12:32

Yeah, I figured that might be an issue. We're in a gray area - we do have permissions from everyone that could give it, but most companies who made the games are just gone without a trace. But WoS for example is 100% legal, and there's simply no better place to find anything Spectrum related than them.

Anyway, linking out is just what *I* would do, doesn't matter others have to do the same happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-04-20
08:34:31

Yeah, if your going to do something then do it right else don't bother.

I can remember a time when someone nicked the whole of the original site many years back from content to design with direct links to the original host we were on. At least the info was correct or as good as could be. wink

Posted By

RRS
on 2012-04-20
23:00:09

Honestly, I have no idea what's MobyGames' official policy towards sites like yours.
http://www.mobygames.com/info/standards#Links
We do link to "rival" Wikipedia. So maybe indeed this is the case of abandonware legal issue.
Besides, links are not autogenerated, but submitted by contributors, each and every one.
I was about to bring up this issue (link exchange with other sites) on our forum (I've already addressed Wikipedia's "hatred" towards us).

"The search feature in question is not exactly secret, but it's not finished and I don't remember putting up those links on any of the pages. How did you even come across it?"
Oh, the powers of deduction, Watson. wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024