Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

crock
on 2011-10-20
12:52:43
 Can a C116 keyboard be disassembled?

I have a fully working C116 but one of the keys is non functional and a couple of others are intermitent. Looking at it, I am not sure if it comes apart without destroying it, has anyone successfully taken one apart and cleaned it?

cheers,

rob

Posted By

TLC
on 2011-10-21
05:13:12
 Re: Can a C116 keyboard be disassembled?

I have one that has once seemingly been taken apart (...I didn't do that, I received it in that form), looks like it might be possible to do, but it should indeed take some practice, tricks, and/or a lot of patience...

Posted By

George
on 2011-10-21
09:10:16

The chicklet keyboard of the c116 is terrible. Even if funktioning, its not a pleasure typing on this machine. Hopwfully you can get your key working.

Posted By

crock
on 2011-10-21
09:16:31

I agree that it is terrible, but I collect these things to have them working. While they still come up for sale from time to time, mine is in almost mint condition so I'm only going to attempt it if I have a reasonable chance of sucess.

Rob

Posted By

George
on 2011-10-21
09:33:06

Was not ment as criticism. I am a collector too of this machines, because i love them.
My actual problem is a not working 1551 Drive, which a bought with origninal packaging for quite a lot money. Worked for a while, then tilt, could not read disks anymore. I took it apart an i think i made it worse now, because i disalignt the motor.

Good luck with your repair.

Posted By

crock
on 2011-10-21
09:50:06

Don't worry I George, I did not take it as criticism !

I too received a 1551 last year for a really good price. When sent by the previous owner it was in good condition, but his idea of packaging was a few screwed up peices of newspaper. By the time I receieved it, it still worked but now has a two chunks of plastic knocked out of the case.

Rob

Posted By

George
on 2011-10-21
11:32:41

The plastic of the 1551 is known to be brittle and to break in pieces when packaged improperly.
Another user here recieved two 1551 in pieces, because the case broke during posting. Its a pity. I am glad though having one, because they get rarer and rarer and more expensive.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2011-10-21
13:52:29

that is the reason why i stopped posting 1551 drives. no matter what you do they always break during shipping.

Posted By

TLC
on 2011-10-22
05:56:30

George: what you describe appears to be, hmmm, "typical". 1551s reportedly fail because of problems of the drive mechanism (especially failure of the read/write head)... otherwise, the drive basically never fails.

Most, if not all 1551s use the Newtronics/Mitsumi D500 drive mechanism (the "turning lever" type one). You can sometimes purchase such drive mechanisms from eBay. Other option: you can most probably get back th 1551 to life, at the expense of cannibalizing a 1541C drive that uses the same type of mechanism.

BTW, I can confirm (from my own experience...) that the plastic casing of the 1551 is much more fragile than contemporary 1541C drives are (...should be a result of using different material, because the form is otherwise the same...)

Posted By

George
on 2011-10-23
08:28:04

@TLC

thanks for the tips. I also had the Idea for replaching the mechanism, from another commodore drive. Now that i know that, i will look for a Mitsumi 500D drive mechanism.

Posted By

George
on 2011-10-23
08:28:05

@TLC

thanks for the tips. I also had the Idea for replaching the mechanism, from another commodore drive. Now that i know that, i will look for a Mitsumi 500D drive mechanism.

Posted By

SVS
on 2011-10-24
02:55:35

@George: you can quite use a 1541 mechanism for replacing.

Posted By

siz
on 2011-11-02
18:14:17

Back to the original topic: I've just had to replace a broken CPU (by the way a 7501R1 with date code 0184) in my C116 and while the little one was disassembled I've took a look at the keyboard.
It can be dissassambled easily (much easier than a plus/4 keyboard). There are two screws in the bottom of the keyboard (at least in mine there was two but according to the general look of the machine it does not necessarily mean the factory state) and after taking them out the whole back of the keyboard can be lifted out, only some small plastic spikes are holding it in place but they will remain in either the top or the bottom part.

Posted By

crock
on 2011-11-02
18:37:12

Aha - thanks siz! When I looked at the underside of the keyboard, those plastic pins looked like a one way fitting as they were slightly flared, and that they would snap if I forced the pcb away. Mine certainly wouldn't lift away, I guess I just need to apply some gentle pressure...

Posted By

siz
on 2011-11-03
04:33:19

As I wrote earlier: probably someone has disassembled the keyboard before it came to me. So someone already did the hard part for me. And made a not-so-good job on re-assembling it like one of the screws is loose in it's place. But the keyboard works perfectly - even after my disassembly-reassembly job. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024