Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

retroscener
on 2011-09-26
06:57:30
 Java Mobile Emulators

I have a Nokia E7, screen resolution of 320x240

I've still yet to find a working plussy emulator. All I have found so far is mnus4 in jar format. I've found a couple for the C64 but they're not perfect. One is too slow and the other doesn't have sound working on my particular mobile.

http://genergabasa.php0h.com

It comes preinstalled with Arthur Noid. The screen resolution is all wrong though as it cuts off half the screen. I don't know it's original resolution size.The only way to add games to it is by opening up the jar file in winrar and replacing the Arthur Noid file with another, so I have a feeling it's not really made for mobile phones in mind. Is this just the same emulator we see online here and on our site?, as it works on mobile phones but the resolution is just all wrong.

Apart from that I can't find any other 264 emulators for standard mobiles. It's a shame as it's a natural step for our retro gaming experience, we wouldn't just be limited to having to play our favourite games at home then.

I mean wouldn't it just be nice to have Yape for mobile? happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2011-09-29
18:18:52
 Re: Java Mobile Emulators

Hi,
I think we should not forget the Pocket Plus/4 emulator for PocketPC platform...

In Java I believed in the past, but I am a heretic now happy

Maybe i ti s the best, just need to be ported to Symbian, based on some personal support???

Posted By

Gaia
on 2011-09-29
21:46:55

Not sure if it works for you but there is always Frodo for Symbian phones that could be used (it works on my Nokia):

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~haviital/index.shtml?projects_frodop

As for the +4 one, well I do not think that one exists unless you can make minus4j work somehow.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2011-09-30
22:52:06

Yeah I have Frodo on my phone as I also have a C64, very nice emulation but I have an early build, including an early build of Bilbo which is the audio support. The frame rate and the audio is very choppy on the early build. I don't have the latest Bilbo build as one I found online doesn't seem to work on my Nokia E71, maybe it's for other models and I'd need to find the correct one. Bilbo is donationware but I have found that many people didn't recieve their download link from the main website, so I'm reluctant.

I have no idea how to make minus4j work correctly. All I know that.jar is just a compressed file which is compatable with winrar. I know you have to add a couple of lines in the MANIFEST.MF file in the META-INF folder but for this you need the original screen resolution which I don't have, and that probably isn't garaunteed to work either. It doesn't appear to have any sound either, at least the version I'm using.

But it would be fantastic if PocketPC was to be ported across to Symbian happy

Posted By

Stuckalf
on 2011-10-07
04:30:48

Speaking of emulators - is there a working emu for tablets running android 2.1?
It would be nice to have a portable Plussi on a bigger screen. I mean, normal mobiles are really a bit small, aren't they?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2011-10-07
13:04:11

Small but functional and many people have symbian smartphone mobiles these days happy

What features could one have apart from the usual?

Virtual keyboard
Volume control
Save states with it's own menu of saved games.
Special joystick-keys and phone-keyboard selector as many mobiles tend to be different.
Video record. C64 mobile emulators don't have it.
Switchable Ram (but that's obvious)

Posted By

Stuckalf
on 2011-10-07
14:27:36

I didn't want to state that the emu wasn't good, don't get me wrong.
It's mostly the small screen of a mobile that annoys me.
I just can't get even a bit of retro feeling by playing with such a tiny device.
For me it's a joke, nothing more, nothing less. Regardless how well the software is done.

Even an emu on the notebook isn't what makes me happy.
I need the "real thing". Anything else is just a glimpse of a Plussi.
For coding purposes I might use an emulator. Anything else means nothing for me.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024