Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

carrion
on 2011-06-10
12:28:18
 +4 and colors

hi all
i'm pixeling my first +4 only pic but i'm not sure about the colors.
i use timanthes for pixeling with a palette stolen from vice.
i have to say it's really good one and c64 colors fit verry well in it (in all of the 8 shades) but since i don't have the real +4 machine i can't tell if the shades of different colors are really the same. what i mean is that if i use red color shade #3 will it be the same in terms of brighteness (luminacy) as green colors shade #3?
I'm experimenting with colors so what i need it for is to replace some colors (let say red #3 with orange #3) and i want to be sure it will look ok in terms of luma on real machine.

TIA

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-06-10
15:42:56
 Re: +4 and colors

Let's repeat altogether again: atm VICE IS BAD, VICE IS BAD!
Plus4emu is the most accurate, YAPE is the best solution even in terms of friendly usage, and let you choose from different color temperatures, VICE IS (atm) BAD! grin
The same shade level for different colour does not bright the same , don't let you be cheated about, be smart wink Oh and keep going!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2011-06-10
16:17:29

Yes, AFAIK the same shades of different colors will have the same brightness. At least, on a monochrome display, there will still only be 8 shades of gray regardless of color (plus black).

Posted By

Chronos
on 2011-06-11
12:33:58

My arok piccy is already finished so keep up dudz happy

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2011-06-12
05:14:43

Here is a package for creating images with plus4emu/p4fliconv colors (it will probably not stay there for long, so download it soon happy):
https://rapidshare.com/files/1269695740/p4palette.zip
It contains the following:
- Plus/4 palette (both PAL and NTSC) in .act format
- a program for generating palettes with adjustable brightness, contrast, saturation, and gamma; source code is included
- a "p4fliconv compatible" 320x200 .gif image with the PAL Plus/4 palette

Posted By

carrion
on 2011-06-15
07:26:51

is it too late?
I can't download it.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2011-06-15
07:35:06

The download worked here, I put it up on Plus/4 World as a backup: http://plus4world.powweb.com/dl/tools/p4palette.zip

Posted By

MMS
on 2011-06-15
14:33:43

Here, Istvan, it was really Rapid happy
on the other hand, thank you for your great support.

I feel sorry that I became so addicted to King's Bounty game I had no time in the last weeks/months to do any pixel magic. (OK, and some job suck my brain...)

I just recently noticed, that on the used PC I bough I have Photoshop CS3 happy So I just tried out the palette. Surprisingly Irfanview is BETTER for the conversion task I worked out than Photoshop!

A very good source of normal multicolor conversion is a 320x200 JPG picture, Pixelized with a 2x1 mask, then converted to GIF with the palette...
BUT Photoshop CS3 (as per my quick view) just let 1x1 and 2x2, etc mozaic sizes, while Irfanview let you set 2x1,. 2x1 perfectly fits to 160x200 multicolor resolution.
Maybe I have to do it in two steps, but the ACT palette is a great help for more accurate conversion.

Thanks again, Istvan !

Posted By

Csabo
on 2011-06-15
15:25:49

Hey MMS, there's still more than a month util Arok. You should definitely put King's Bounty aside, pull yourself together and draw an entry for the graphics compo happy

Posted By

carrion
on 2011-06-21
04:51:22

@MMS
You could use Timanthes for C+4 pixeling. I do. happy
It works directly in lo-res mode and with exact colors, has layers and can convert like a charm from other formats to C+4 palette

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-06-21
05:14:27

How to put the 2nd fixed color in Timanthes'attributes? Don't tell me you're pixeling a C64 pic with a plus4 palette in order to convert it to FLI as ending treat :O

Posted By

MMS
on 2011-06-21
11:45:43

Haha, that would be a great mix of things happy

But I prefer still rae Multicolor, as I always got claims on FLI pictures (vibrates, etc) and also need tricks to show them. i am not a great coder, normal multicolor could be loaded from BASIC too happy
I also believe -especially seeing some great C64 MC GFX on Facebook- that we are still far from the limits we have. Though Plus/4 has less variable colors per 8x8 matrix than C64, we well compensate it with a wider palette happy

Posted By

carrion
on 2011-06-29
04:46:27

@Luca
While using Timanthes I try to use 2 fixed colors per char but you could use layers to simulate it too. And yes I pixel c64 multicolor keeping the restrictions in mind and I use c+4 pallette
btw check this out...
http://carrionpixels.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/2-weeks-to-go/ made with timanthes

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-06-29
05:03:33

Smart! Keep going!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024