Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

carrion
on 2011-04-29
14:27:39
 which emulator for mac os x

hello all!
Which emulator you suggest for Mac os X?
Plus4Emu for Windows is verry god but you know it's ..... for windows.
any sugestions?

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2011-04-29
14:52:00
 Re: which emulator for mac os x

In theory, it should be possible to compile it for Mac OS X as well, and it was already done successfully by MagerValp, but with an older (1.1.x) version, newer ones were not tested and may or may not work in practice. Also, it is not easy if you are not familiar with compiling - and possibly modifying, to fix some minor errors - source code.

Another option is running any Windows based emulator under a Windows emulator (e.g. WINE, or whatever is available for OS X). In this case, it is probably best to try multiple emulators, to see how well each one runs.

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2011-04-30
09:54:39

I haven't been able to compile plus4emu on 10.6. It has a bunch of dependencies that don't compile cleanly on a mac, at least not anymore.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2011-04-30
10:19:26

Which of the dependencies cause problems ? I suspect it would be mainly FLTK and/or PortAudio, the others are either optional or do not contain too much platform specific code. If it is libsndfile that fails, then its use could be removed from the source code relatively easily, at the expense of losing support for recording and reading audio files. If FLTK 1.1.x does not compile, but 1.3.x does, then the emulator source code could be updated to support 1.3.x with some (not major) changes; I have already done that in ep128emu.

Posted By

TLC
on 2011-04-30
10:57:34

On a related note: FLTK 1.1.x is being phased out in Gentoo, it's been hard masked for a couple of months and will presumably be gone in the near future. Can't speak of other distros, though. Still, that suggests that not (m)any opensource apps (those building up 99% content of different Linux distros, including Gentoo) depend on FLTK 1.1.x anymore... which in turn, suggests that compiling some app against FLTK 1.1.x (possibly even FLTK 1.1.x itself) might get tricky someday in the near future even on Linux. For one, I would be happy if you'd update plus4emu for a newer generation of FLTK for sure.

Posted By

Chris
on 2011-04-30
14:14:18

I use Vice and it works rather well. No messing about compiling programs or running a piggy back operating system.

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2011-05-01
04:26:21

Istvan_V: It's been a couple of months since I last tried so memory is a bit fuzzy, but FLTK 1.1 was one of them. The other was audio-related, but I'm not sure which one.

Chris: xplus4 in VICE has lots of compatibility problems and can't be used to watch any recent demos.

Posted By

carrion
on 2011-05-08
11:12:07

speakin of recent demos I can't run States United on vice nor plus4emu. are there any special config setups for plus4emu to run this demo?

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2011-05-08
11:42:24

In the case of plus4emu, as already discussed in this thread: http://plus4world.powweb.com/forum/21104, you simply need to change the type of unit 9 in the disk configuration from 1551 to 1541 (also make sure there is no .d64 file selected for that drive - if there is one, remove it, and click "Options/Floppy/Disable unused drives" in the menu). The reason why this is needed is that by default the emulator has a two-drive configuration, with an IEC level 1551 drive (PC filesystem access) as unit 9, and the loader of the demo is incompatible with any multi-drive configuration. Once the second drive is disabled, the demo should run without problems.

VICE is probably just not accurate enough to run this demo.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024