Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-23
 Emucamp dead?

What does this mean for plus4 world??????
---------------------------
The End
(posted by Lopantu - 17:42)
As I am the last staffer here, I can sadly tell you that EmuCamp is now dead.

The Open News Posting System was abused when I was lacking an internet connection. I do not have the time to babysit the site, and I want to move on to bigger and better things in my life, so I am leaving EmuCamp, and resetting it back to it's old state.

If any of the original staff that had access to the NewsUpdate script would like to update the site, then feel free, otherwise, the site will stay like this until Zoop decides what he wants to do with it.

Farewell, It's been a bumpy but mostly fun two year run.

Lopantu/Bender/MetaFox

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-23
 Wow I hope not...

To be honest emucamp has been dead for the last 18months with only keen people posting the odd news here and there. They changed the news login some time ago and did'nt bother to let me know. Only found out when I wanted to post something, but never followed it up.....

I haven't been in contact with Zoop in a very long time. Notice we don't have any banners? The less said the better coz they suck. Only need to look at my old pages to see they are nasty pop-ups on every page!

Man emucamp was the best when I joined up, but thing is I guess the good times are slowing down seeing as everything has almost been emulated way or another. We must be looking at the rare stuff now emulation wise like hi spec arcade machines yet to be done, 5 years from now Daytona USA (maybe). Nower days it's 2 new games machines every 3-4 years and I for one don't want to see this stuff emulated until long gone eg.(dreamcast). Thats whats really killed emucamp me thinks.

Hope they don't take us down. I try and find out. If they do pull the plug we will rise again because as you said "Lets not loose this stuff" happy

Fingers crossed init!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-07-23
 Backup

I have just finished a full backup of our site (thanks to the high-speed connection). On the FTP side, it is 100MB, 2343 files in 109 folders. The only thing I didn't back up is the D64 recall zip files, but I have them all downloaded and unzipped anyway. On the server database side, I back that up regularly, I did it today too. It's only 4.23MB... All that info... Anyway. If emucamp goes down, we'd have to find another place. Maybe plus4.com? How about another merger? happy

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-23
 (no topic)

Server side size isn't a problem, that could easily come over... FTP side...wow...100Mbs.. ouch! happy

Whats the bandwidth download a month? I'd need to know so I can account for how much space I'd have to buy....

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-23
 (no topic)

Actually...WHAT ftp side?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-07-23
 FTP = the site

Of course I meant the site itself (the pages, the images, everything) to which I have access only though FTP.

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-23
 (no topic)

ah..okay...so what did you mean "server side" then? is that the database?
and the FTP is the whole lot?

PRG's, images, HTML etc... ?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-07-23
 Database

Yes. Every file on our site is what I think of as FTP, it's the images, the covers, the actual HTM and PHP pages, and the downloadable programs. However, we also have a database on the server. This cannot be accessed by FTP, or seen as a file. It can be only accessed from code - like what you are looking at now. All posts are in the database, also all game/demo/member/group details pages are built on the fly on the server side using data from the database. This is what I have to "back up" separately. I have a little script that sucks out all the data, which I rebuild into an MS Access file on my end.

Sorry if I misused some terms - I didn't learn any of this stuff, it's just what I figured out by myself. So what do you think? These would be our jobs: Lando: games & magic, You: emus & programming, Me: database & page programming. All of us: News happy

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-23
 (no topic)

well, currently I don't have enough space! I pay for my provider, and I only (only he says!) get 100mb!

I'll have to check/think and see if I could affort more with them....

I do need to know the bandwidth used/needed though...

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-23
 Mike.

jesus.....

m8 how much is a 100meg costing you?

The D64 archive is just over 100meg on it's own let alone the rest that Csabo's backed up today... we could be l@@king at 500meg, for future uploads of files, covers, scans, loads.... just to be safe???

Logstats can be found here. I haven't looked at this page in ages.

Posted By

AaronGale
on 2002-07-23
 Option?

Hi Guys,

Don't know what you are paying for webhosting and I don't know if this seems a lot for what is just a hobby but take a quick look at:

https://oneandone.co.uk/JServSessionIdxml_ptgb=rmb2y685d1.JS4/xml/static?__page=hosting&__frame=_top

I currently have a Home Package for £4.99 / month which I hang 4 domains off. Don't bother looking, there isn't anything worth looking at there though!

But for that I get 100Mb 3Gb traffic / month / Full CGI access POP / Web email

Or for £8.99 / month 300Mb 10Gb traffic / month +

They certainly seemed the best option when I was looking for a webhost. Not that I've done bugger all with it though!

Aaron

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-24
 (no topic)

powweb hosting is fantasit... $7.77 a month, paid yearly.. gives...

250Mb hosting (Im checking on my current allocation, I signed up before this)
25Gig a moth transfer

a whole heap of other things...

www.powweb.com

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-24
 (no topic)

Just got a mail back fom powweb, whenever they upgrade the package, mine gets upgraded too... so I have 250Mb storage.. 25Gig a month download

so... it's just dependent on bandwidth really...(can you find this out?)

If emucamp keeps going, I guess you don't have to move, it's up to you... but it's nice to know you'll have a home if things go pear-shaped happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-25
 The End Part II

A guy called Lopantu looks like he's going to keep the faith and post news on emucamp so were cool for the time being. I don't know what the bandwidth limit is or if there is one, they used to get sucked dry every day by Lemon64, but for some reason he's taken all his downloads offline after saying it's a copyright thing....... ?

All I know is emucamp is on a T3 conection what ever that might be... I've never been told the amount of space, just we get what we need. The banners cover the cost wink

Does your host also mind copyright material? Would they pull the plug? I told emucamp because they did ask the question, that Commodore died years ago and I would take down anything if requested. This is the reality side of everything we all do Been lucky so far and hope those that do own this stuff do see the fun side and what we are trying to do............

We'll stay put for now and see how things go, but many thanks for the offer Mike. You the man!!!

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-25
 (no topic)

Thats the way with any emulation thing... if a request is made, remove it.

Its good to know your not about to get booted anytime soon though! happy

Just give a shout should you need any help...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2002-07-25
 Emucamp still alive and kicking?

I've just checked Emucamp myself... and it seems like the site's not gonna bite the dust. At least the original poster withdrew his announcement in a way. Problem solved? Let's hope wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024