Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-11-13
11:47:00
 Plus4IDE features requests

I decided to extrapolate my requests to implement in a new version of Plus4IDE from another thread here, even with some addons:

- REPLACE does not clear the text selection once performed, optional (multiple replacing!);
- an "include" in order to call .bin and .prg (+2 bytes, you know) stuff;
- macros in order to autogenerate speedcoding (unrolled) code;
- ASL A/ROR A/etc... should be ASL/ROR/etc..;
- the last version of AS65 works on x64 machines too, but it exclusively demands for lowercase text, why?
- when I coded The IT Crowd I realized I was not able to put code in some memory areas (e.g. under $0FFF), would be possible to get around this?
- find/replace of a whole bunch of code (very good for speedcode's retouch!);
- SELECT ALL / INVERSE SELECTION options under /EDIT menu;
- illegal opcodes being straight recognized (no more DB inserting of all of them).

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2010-11-13
12:45:59
 Re: Plus4IDE features requests

AS65 has some macro support although it seems to be fairly limited. Including .bin files, having syntax of ASL, ROR etc. without explicit accumulator referencing and knowing illegal opcodes are assembler features. You should pick a different one if AS65 does not meet your requirements. AFAIR Plus4IDE calls AS65 with the -i commandline switch which should make it ignore the case of opcodes. If according to your experience this does not work the author should be contacted with an error report. The code editor component of the program has find and replace support. Right clicking the editor window should open a floating menu that has find and replace items. I never tried but maybe it is capable to remember the keyboard settings one changed (RClick/Properties/Keyboard tab) even after restart. But it would be more elegant if these features could be accessed via menu items or keyboard shortcuts (configured in shortcut.ini).

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-11-13
15:59:58

gerliczer: time ago Csabo asked for suggested features, I'm pushing for suggested features, that's all wink Now I only need an answer list like: yes, no, maybe, die happy Nothing more, nothing less, at least I tried, that was the spirit.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-11-13
19:24:46

I did ask for Plus4IDE feedback happy Your enthusiasm is appreciated as always, but as Rafi pointed out many of these have to do with AS65, not Plus4IDE. (That's unfortunately out of my control.) Let's see them one by one:

- The replace command is built into the (outdated ) text editor control we use, and it does clear the selection. You're asking for the selection to be kept? I suppose it could be done from code, e.g. saving the current selection, then calling replace, then restoring the selection. Though this could lead to buggy behavior if the replaced text is longer than the original. I don't have a preference either way... Though I think it's pretty standard to de-select after replace. Is there a text editor that doesn't do this by default?

- missing AS65 feature.

- macros are built in, I think we talked about them. Can you explain why they don't work for you?

- That's the syntax AS65... Can't be changed.

- I don't know the answer to this one. I only have a 32 bit system. Anyone?

- This isn't so in my experience: check my source codes for 8SoB for example. DCD's music driver starts from $0Exx.

- The built in Find/Replace only works within single lines, I think you're asking for a multi-line find/replace. It probably could be coded from VB but I don't think it's trivial. More importantly, the use of macros eliminate the need for this completely! You really should look into them. Maybe send me your code and I'll turn it into a macro-using version.

- Select All is a good idea for the Edit menu, that should be added (and default to CTRL+A). What do you mean by Invert Selection though? If you have a block of text selected in the middle of your file, "inverting" the selection would select... what? The text that is before AND after your previous selection?

- Missing AS65 feature.

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-11-14
10:31:57

- invert selection: if you select X, you can invert the selection to ALL-X.
- probably it works under $0FFF, for sure you can't ORG $0400

all the rest: I tried, no pain happy and I MUST learn more about macros, because speedcoding is destroying me and my nerves

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-11-15
16:31:03

About invert selection (once again): think about it for a second. You have three lines in a text file. Let's say the second line is selected. If you clicked invert selection, should it select "the text that is before AND after your previous selection"? So first line AND third line at the same time? I don't think that's possible with normal text editors. Or did I misunderstand what you mean?

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-11-15
20:15:09

You got it, I guessed the inversion would be a normal features for any text editor, probably my fault.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2011-02-19
17:43:34

is it possible to run and use the plus4ide on a windows 7 machine?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2011-02-19
18:33:05

Good question, I don't know. I'm not sure there would be any reason why it wouldn't run, but I haven't tried it, as I don't have Win7 or have access to any machines that run it. Has anyone else tried?

Posted By

Ati
on 2011-02-19
21:43:35

I use Plus4ide on Windows7. It works good.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2011-02-20
02:18:26

on a XP machine it worked really good, but on a win7 we don't get it running. after a compile and run we get an error#62 message.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2011-02-20
09:16:43

Patrick,

I googled this error #62. Most of the search result in the first 2-3 pages suggest to run some registry cleaner tool. If that does not help, you may try to replace the assembler in the package with a newer version. AFAIR the distribution package features version 1.3x and there is a 1.4x version on AS65 author's homepage that has Windows compatible executable too.

Posted By

Dennis
on 2011-02-21
11:17:51

Perhaps Ati runs plus4ide on a 32-bit Win7? I just tried to run it on an 64-bit Win7 system, and i can't get it to work either. The first problem is that the included as65 cannot be run on a 64-bit OS. After replacing as65 with the "new" 1.42, the standalone the compiler does execute (tested in win7 cli dosbox), but plus4ide seems to have a problem with this version of as65 for some reason. When i compile and run, i see a cli box popping up for very short period, and that's the end of it. I wonder what the problem could be! Many thanks. Dennis

Posted By

Patrick
on 2011-03-16
12:11:45

anyone runs plus4ide on a 64-bits windows machine??

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-03-16
12:49:07

GOTO1 (stated in my startingthread's message):
the last version of AS65 works on x64 machines too, but it exclusively demands for lowercase text, why?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2011-03-16
16:10:30

Win7-x64 guys,

If it is available (it should be in the Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate versions) try to run Plus4IDE in Windows XP mode, or if it isn't in some virtual machine under an older Windows operating system.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2011-03-26
09:18:22

we tried, but no luck. we hope csabo can make a Win7-x64 version!!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2011-04-10
02:22:42

Win7-x64 guys,

Played with Plus4IDE under Windows 7 x64 Ultimate a bit. The problem seems to be AS65. The older does not work and the newer has at least one problem. As it is stated in its manual (v1.42, as65.man, around line 25-26) it expects lower case opcodes, register references and directives. Although the assembler has a command line switch (-i) that should make it case insensitive, so it could interpret e.g. opcodes in capitals, but in the 1.42 version this function seems to be broken. Until Csabo manages to come up with a workaround the affected people may want to contact the author of AS65 with a bug report. It is also possible to convert the sources to lower case with the editor component. One should click in the editor area with the right button and in the popup menu go to "Properties" then "Language/Tabs" and uncheck "Fixup text case while typing language keywords". After this any text selected in the editor can be made lower case with the popup mentioned above. Of course this makes the syntax highlighting go out of order.

Luca,

The answer to your repeated question why AS65 accepts only lower case text is as I stated above is that AS65 seems to be broken.

Edit:

Checking the help file of the old assembler revealed that the previous versions of AS65 also expected opcodes, pseudo opcodes and register names in lower case. Therefore one may think that earlier versions were the buggy ones and the new release corrected the error, namely that the -i command line switch worked on parts of the source text it should have not. One way of remedying the issue would be replacing the keyword data for syntax highlighting with lower case text. This can be done quickly but of course the look of the sources will change, and maybe older code will need some manual labour to reformat.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024