Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-09-07
07:01:48
 The Future of Demo Art

Viznut/PWP has put down a very lucid and consistent piece of text about the reasons why we code demos and why/where/who/what we will do in the next 10 years, with an awesome theoretical scheme which illustrates what really defines a "demo".
Agree or criticize, you really have to read it:
http://www.pelulamu.net/countercomplex/the_future_of_demo_art/

Posted By

Lavina
on 2010-09-07
07:31:02
 Re: The Future of Demo Art

deleted by author

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-09-07
10:42:17

Lavina, your post is also too long for what it says, the expression you were looking for is "TL;DR" happy

I read over the article briefly. I agree that is wordy, but there's a lot of good stuff in there. He knows what he's talking about. Especially the transition from the 90s on - we all experienced it, but I haven't seen it expressed so well.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2010-09-07
13:48:56

I read it and I agree on some obvious stuff but that's little new in lots of words. Nevertheless, I fully understand the author's intention and I appreciate the effort.

In parts the essay is self-contradictory (I will list examples on request wink ) and I totally disagree with some of the thesis. (Adding to that, some "facts" are just presented as such, other ppl may have experienced the early homecomputing days differently... even back then there have been "consumers". But that's just a detail.).

The biggest problem -in my opinion- is the very mainstream/conservative "demo scene" point of view/history the author portraits in most of the essay. You can tell, he's been there done that.
But he omits that there have always been niche-scenes that didn't get as much attentions as C64, Amiga and PC. These smaller scenes had different ways, rituals, legends etc.
Of course many of these things were inspired by bigger scenes, sometimes even just copy-catting them but very often they also evolved into something unique.
I guess being from such a smaller scene (the plus/4 scene was/is virtually unknown to most sceners) I feel completely different about many things. I don't need technically brilliant code in a demo, leave alone saying that it's the core of demo art.

The openess towards "non scene" ppl the author wishes for has always been there for me. Many times I've tried to talk my musically talented brothers into composing on plus/4 - unsuccessfully, though wink If you don't have a legion of SID-musicians to chose from you search for alternatives. Sometimes smaller (as in plus/4 scene) also means much more openess towards others.

These are just thoughts I had while reading the essay, not well composed, written in a hurry and just my personal point of view anyway. It's NOT about dissing the essay. It's a good read anyway and offers some discussion worthy aspects.

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-09-07
15:06:02

People also react on Pouet and CSDb.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024