Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

George
on 2010-08-13
15:26:46
 Matrix Printer MPS 803

Hi,

i bought from ebay the black MPS 803 with original box. A real beauty. Outstanding design. I would like to do some testing.

I would like to know, what the complete content of an boxed Mps 803 is. I just got the box, the printer and a cable

I found the manual here. Poor quality scan. Does anybody has a better scanned manual of the "black beauty"?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2010-08-13
15:37:03
 Re: Matrix Printer MPS 803

I think there should be a manual in the box as well.

Commodore MPS-803 Dark Gray

The tractor unit was optional, though (as you might have seen already).

Commodore TU-803 Dark Gray

Sorry, I don't have a better scan. I never owned a MPS 803 but the Seikosha SP 180 VC which was quite popular among plus/4 owners (and was bundled with the plus/4 at some computer discounters like VOBIS).

Posted By

George
on 2010-08-13
16:16:33

The printer in black is quite rar. Got me some time to find one in germany. Bought it for 8 Euros, beacuse the owner did not know what he had.

I found a manual at:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3BTTC7JX

Content of the box schould be:
1. Commodore Printer, Model MIPS-803
2 Printer Ribbon Cassette
3 Serial Cable
4. User's Guide
5. Warranty Card

i just tested it. Works fine after 25 years! And so quite. wow.
I am surprised how easy to handle this hardware is.
You put the sheet of paper behind and pull it to position.
There is only 1 Button: Paper advance (Line feed). Thats all!

Real plug/play.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2010-08-13
17:33:39

Yeah, the warranty card came with all the CBM euqipment. Fortunately, I never had to use any.

Is the ribbon still ok? I recently bought a new one for my Seikosha printer (20 years old). You might find a replacement one for the MPS 803 as well.
Back then, lots of ppl just "re-inked" the ribbons but that wouldn't be my first choice when you can get a new one.

Posted By

George
on 2010-08-13
18:22:27

Ribbon is ok, has still some ink in it. Who knows if its the original.

The size of the printer is very much of the size of a plus/4. But the printer is twice in his height.
Very heavy piece. Has some style elements of the plus/4. The power light is red and has the same shape, the cooling rips at the front/side has the same style.

Next i need is the 1551 floppy and the 1801 Monitor. The 1801 is the Monitor, which i find matches best to the plus/4. I don't like the 2 round buttons a the front of the cm-141(which is NTSC anyway) or the 1802 (PAL). I haven't seen any of these Monitors in Europe with the 264 style.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2010-08-13
18:51:14

The 1802 had various incarnations. I used to have the latest one (1802 D) which in my opinion looks best (even if it didn't match the plus/4).

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/mecomp2.html

The monitors to match the plus/4 had the "color spectrum" like this one

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/mecomp3.html

Posted By

MMS
on 2010-08-15
08:47:19

I had an MPS803 in the past, and did some nice things with that. In fact mainly with GEOS on C64, as Plus/4 had hardly anything at that time I could call WYSWYG programs for Newsletter creation. (or maybe I was just not aware of that. the existance of GEOS was a surprise to me, but would not help me, as working only with 1551, and I had 1541/II)

On the other hand I should state, that after switching to a 24pin STAR printer (it was an A3, color capable beast, at least 20kgs, and I bought it from a factory for ~5 Euros) a new level became available for me with GEOS.

Certainly if the MPS803 is a collectible, then it is a perfect match to plus/4. If you wanna do some more serious jobs (who knows? happy ) then a decent STAR (eg NX-1000) or Panasonic KX-P2123 will improve the output. They are even color capable with a cheap ribbon.
As GEOS is available for Plus/4 also, I suppose the printer support is the same as on C64 and you may connect them easily (the STAR has a commodore interface, the Panasonic I am not sure).

Posted By

George
on 2010-08-15
18:52:03

Hi MMS,
Thanks for your tips.

I don't want to do anything with this printer. I just collect the the matching Hardware for the plus/4 of that time for my little museum.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024