Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-03-07
11:02:25
 Plus4IDE

Plus4IDE is now on Google code:
https://code.google.com/p/plus4ide/

If anyone has any feedback, please share it with us. Ideas, feature requests, usability feedback... Should we rewrite it in something more modern, maybe cross-platform language?

BTW, I really like Google code so far. To set the project up literally took just a few minutes, and now it has SVN control, issue tracking, etc. I think I'll commit all my projects there. They don't seem to care about the languages either, so maybe we should make a Plus/4 code repository as well.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-03-10
15:21:31
 Re: Plus4IDE

Good, good! happy I hope some folks will jump in to help bringing it to the next level, i.e. converting to VB .NET would be excellent as well as using the most recent version of the CodeMax library (which IMHO is available packaged with some popular open source package whose name I can't recall right now). Or eventually, use a native .NET component, such as the brilliant SharpDevelop

Posted By

siz
on 2010-03-11
01:41:23

I've already started to create a Commodore Cross Assembly plugin for the Eclipse platform (in Java). It allows you to use the assembler (compiler) of your choice (but only TAss is implemented yet as I use that because of compatibility with my old plus/4 sources) and uses makedisk to create D64 images (and a new built in, flexible disk image creator is under development and about 80% ready. That will support any kind of disk images: D64, D71, D81, D82, etc)
I know that Eclipse and Java are heavy weight and needs a lot of resources but I started that because I could not find a good editor for TAss sources and it seemed to be a good thing to experiment with Eclipse plugin development. happy
I can't promise anything about the future of the plugin because plus/4 is just a hobby for me - and I'm sure that it's the same for most of us - and I have very little time to spend with it. :S

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-03-11
11:58:28

Siz: this is great! I hope you'll succeed (in due time happy ). As far as I know Csabo is an avid Eclipse user at his work, so that's a lucky coincidence.

On a related note: I figured that the above mentioned open source software is in fact Povray. It has embedded the full C++ source code of the CodeMax syntax highlighting edit component DLL - used by Csabo's IDE - in case someone wants to use it.

To be honest after failing to port Csabo's IDE to .NET I had started one from scratch (still in VB .NET) about 1.5 years ago but stopped due to the lack of a good syntax highlighting editor component (I had not known about SharpDevelop back then). It could already support many cross-assemblers (AS65, TASS, ACME, XA etc...), but was of course nowhere near as complete as Csabo's.

BTW, there has been a teaser on a very promising x-development IDE from the C64 group "Style64" here: http://style64.org/projects

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-03-11
12:35:43

That's good news Siz.

But this just confirms that basically "we" - as in this little group of Plus/4 sceners - cannot collaborate on this kind of software. Or anything, basically. It seems like everyone just wants to do their own thing, rewrite stuff in their own language, and therefore in a way reinvent the wheel. Besides me with this VB6 project we have Gaia with .NET, Siz with Java, and MC with Delphi happy (He also wrote his own assembler and IDE, called AP4. Don't quote me on the Delphi part though. The download link doesn't work, but that's what I recall.)

I love Eclipse BTW, I use 3.5 at work for Java and Flex development. It's a massive beast though, maybe a bit of an overkill for Plus/4 development. Whatever, anyway, keep up the good work and sorry about the rant!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-03-11
14:33:28

Hay Csabo, don't get me wrong, I wanted to help you with the IDE... just simply could not port it to .NET due to lack of ..... (whatever happy )

So... I thought I could somehow contribute what I have done, but the VB6 is REALLY a dead environment so we (yes, WE) must move on! One day you'll need an emulator just to run a VB6 app! happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-03-12
09:54:55

I have just stumbled upon the AvalonEdit control. Looks like a serious contender (also from the SharpDevelop stall, by the way):

http://wiki.sharpdevelop.net/AvalonEdit.ashx
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/edit/AvalonEdit.aspx

Not only has this control proper syntax highlighting (i.e. by modifying the underlying RTF sources directly) but also has code folding and code completion. At any rate, any IDE _should_ also have the ability to save projects in workspace files.

So, in my opinion, to bring Csabo's IDE to the next level, it simply MUST be ported to .NET as well as use SharpDevelop's excellent controls and classes instead of the (otherwise good) Codemax ActiveX control.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-03-13
08:36:37

While we're at it: I seem to have a bug with the latest version (October 2009); as I compile it gives an error message with "Permission denied". The PRG is not generated unless I delete the previous build... any ideas?

Posted By

siz
on 2010-03-14
06:15:52

I assume you use one of the newer windows OS-s: Vista or 7. In that case probably your user does not has full owner rights for the destination folder. Or the created PRG file has no proper permissions set. But IMHO the latter is unlikely.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-03-14
08:46:11

Yeah I forget to mention that I am using Vista... permissions ought to be OK since the stuff is located under my Documents folder.. (I am shown as the owner of the PRG file BTW). Have I said that it occurs totally randomly? That's also odd.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-03-18
09:09:11

The bug mentioned above has been fixed.

I think it's clear from the lack of responses that there's not much sense in pouring a lot of effort into this. There are very, very few people left who are still writing software for the Plussy, they are either fine with Plus4IDE or they are using their own stuff. That's all good and well, at least we can concentrate on actual Plus/4 software.

Gerliczer did some nice code cleanup, in a few days we'll probably put out a new version. If someone does find a bug or has a feature request, you know what to do, but otherwise case closed, let's move on. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024