Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Finland C16 User
on 2009-11-18
02:04:43
 Re: There is no 16k only support

"I'm glad we have them because DIRECTORY works much better then LOAD"$",8 Also RENAME is much more obvious than the somewhat cryptic command strings one has to use on C64. Leave alone you don't have to worry about OPENing channels, etc."

Yes, I only meant that those 'extra' commands weren't really that necessary, so they perhaps could have upgraded the hardware instead with the effor that went into that.. or something. I'd much rather have more sound channels, better (or actually even 'A') sound chip and more memory, sprite capability etc. than 'dload' and 'directory' (and I couldn't load some games with 'dload' anyway, but with load"game",8,1 they worked - I mean I could LOAD them but the games didn't work)..

But I have to say, having 'directory' is great in the respect that it doesn't replace the program with the listing, like load"$",8 does .. I mean, if you are making a BASIC program and wish to know what's on the disk, you won't lose the program - so that way it's handy for sure.

Though it's a bit useless to have that 'dload' command in the function key, when trying to load something from a directory listing.. it's much handier to just type it actually, because the quotation mark makes it impossible to move the cursor to the right so you can remove the 'prg' or add an ':' so the load command will be understood instead of displaying an error.. would be more handy if it was the way it is in C64's Final Cartridge or Action Replay modules, you just press the loading function key and the game starts loading immediately..

Of course it's good for beginners to have more simple commands.. but I don't know if "COLOR 4,0,0" is any more user-friendly than "POKE 53280,0" .. I like them both anyway (:

- Finland C16 User

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024