Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Finland C16 User
on 2009-11-18
01:56:22
 Re: There is no 16k only support

Oh man, you are right agai, CSabo! Thanks again, man - this is great - that shift lock trick really .. well, did the trick! (-8

Thanks also to you, Chicken - I am sorry you had to go through such trouble because of me and then that shift lock-thing worked so well anyway..

MMS, it was the ingame tune that I meant, it was ear-piercing when I had volume too high..

Hm, there seem to be quite many PRGs that actually work (mostly those with a SYS), but then there are some that I can't find a working version of anywhere.

I am thinking that perhaps it could be somehow possible to make a separate section for PRG's that work with 16k, and for those that are only working with more memory - or some kind of visual separation system in the page, so it would be easier to see which file to download (my Windows 98-machine, which handles my x1541-cable-stuff has annoying habit of halting everything for a few seconds every time I download something, and thus it's very slow downloading multiple files), and also it would be immediately obvious which games don't work, so no one would have to bother even downloading them if they need them to work with 16k. Perhaps the filesize could be shown at least, or something.. from there it's easy to spot at least those that will definitely not work.

I did get Pacmania to work, but not Space Pilot, Commando or Atlantis. It's just a matter of luck I guess, where a D64 file or about 12k PRG file exists, a game usually works. But if it's a smaller prg or a larger one, it obviously won't work.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a PRG->16k-working-PRG-converter program? Even a crossplatform tool, like a Windows program or something.. then I could download whatever games I wish to try, then after downloading some version of all of them, I could just run them through that program and voilá; I would get working versions of those games.

I hate to bother Csabo for every game that comes to my mind.. I have a bad memory and I am fast in forgetting things, so I am always bound to forget something if I try to compose a full list..

I also got some version of Commando working though, it's called "G-Man Byte 1" or something like that.. (that's the filename I created, so I forgot the original, actual name of it, heh)

I also have run into pretty great 'new' games that I haven't played before but are really addictive! That Invaders Livewire is great, and then the other G-Man game is absolutely wonderful (but very tough) .. I think that one has pretty kewl explosion sound when you bump into something.

Oh by the way - Chicken, I know exactly what you mean by watching the title screen.. I always enjoy an atmospheric title screen, especially with neat musics! And I appreciate your gratefulness about my humble reports, and I am willing to report more in the future, as much as there is to report. .things seem to be stabilizing now, and soon I have copied most of my old favorite classics on diskettes.. perhaps I will even get that datassette - then I can just easily 'burn' TAPs into real cassettes..

Do you guys have (just by the way) recommendations on some games which would really show off the C16's colors and capabilities? I know many of them do that I already listed, but I'd like to see more of those neat copper-effect-like rasterbars and such.

Also, what do you think, would it be possible to convert some Atari 2600 game or games into an accurate Commodore 16-conversion? I mean, thinking that both systems have very little memory but a lot of colors (except that C16 has a lot more memory of course), and C16 is newer and perhaps more powerful with it's CPU.. could it be possible? Of course the neat Atari 2600 sounds couldn't be faithfully reproduced, but I am sure some games could be pretty nicely converted with lots of hard work.

What do you guys think? Would it be an impossible task, or would you consider it 'doable'? (depending on the game of course, I suppose - how about a game like 'Cosmic Ark', for example..)

Thanks again for your friendliness and kindness, your guides and information, your opinions and gratitude, I am very grateful to you people, you have given me immense amount of hope and understanding that really make my Commodore 16 experience a heavenly one!

Sincerely,

Finland C16 User

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024