Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Finland C16 User
on 2009-11-17
16:16:48
 Re: There is no 16k only support

Thank you so very much, Csabo!

You are correct of course - I am sorry, I was a bit hasty, as I didn't actually test Arthur Noid (just saw that it was different from 49 blocks, and at that point I had concluded that only 49 blocks exactly works, because that had been my experience that far), and perhaps that Space Invaders Livewire didn't work because of some other thing like disk error (I have some problems with either the disks or the drive too, which kinda adds to the frustration of course)..

Well, after all this information I feel much more hopeful and I want to thank all of you for replying so quickly and giving so much valuable information, insights and knowledge about the Commodore 16's magical world. So - thank you!

I am trying to get a datassette, so I can just 'burn' those tape images into real tapes - that way I can perhaps get all games working.. and it's the nice and relaxed genuine way to use an older computer like C16 anyway, perhaps. Though I think it's pretty cool how the 1541 works with it so nicely and all the C64 disk commands seem to work too! I wonder why there even IS command like 'dload', when the C64 load command works just as well..

Meanwhile I am trying to compile a 'perfect disk', one that first of all works perfectly, and only has working games on it - trying to compile a 'personal favorites' nostalgy and also good gameplay pack for myself..

So far I have got these games to work:

- Berks
- Berks III
- Major Blink
- Mr. Puniverse (this was my first game)
- Jetbrix
- Robin to the Rescue (well, obviously after CSabo's fix)
- Formula One Simulator (I can't get enough of playing this)
- Arthur Noid (the music is very annoying though, I wish I could somehow disconnect it)
- Thrust
- Fire Ant
- Aardvark
- Prospector Pete

Hoping to get these games to work next - haven't yet tried much except one version, so there's still hope..

- Space Pilot
- Atlantis
- Pacmania

Many of the nonworking game versions seem to exhibit symptoms that support the theories that have been given here, specifically that "compression makes 16k not working", since many of those seem to be uncompressing after RUN .. the screen flashes a bit like with C64 uncompressing, and then - nothing.

Though of course C16 flashes in a more pretty way because it has more colors .. (-8

It's a lot of fun making short BASIC programs with C16 with all it's colors and graphic commands etc.. if only it had sprites, SID and the 64k memory, then everything would've been so much greater.

But I digress - I wanted to just thank everyone here, you are very kind and informative, and I want to humbly bow to each and every one of you good people. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Finland C16 User

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024