Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

johncl
on 2009-11-13
14:19:00
 Looking to buy C16/Plus4 games

Hi, I am a collector always looking to fill those holes in the collection. happy

If anyone got any C16/Plus4 games for sale or trade then you can post a reply here. I actually don't have any German releases (Kingsoft, Quellesoft and such) and neither any Italian Armati releases and it seems there are quite a few german and hungarian members on this great site! My main collection is UK/English releases but I miss a fair lot from Tynesoft, Gremlin Graphics, Anirog, Audiogenic and Anco. But generally I am after anything I presently don't have.

I am afraid I don't have much C16 games for trade, mainly C64 tape games, but I will buy as well if the price is right. happy

If anyone got any link to a good place to buy C16/Plus4 games besides ebay I would be happy to hear that too.

Best regards,
John
http://retro.lonningdal.net

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-11-13
15:52:19
 Re: Looking to buy C16/Plus4 games

Hi,

An other source is the Hungarian ebay, Vatera.
But in Hungary the original (mean: not copied) games were rare. I had two, Formula One and Vegas Jackpot. I played hunder of hours with them, till first copied tape arrived with 20 games (holy shout!!!) to me happy

Usually you can find them in Retro Computing area (sorry, no English or German...)
http://www.vatera.hu/szamitastechnika_informatika_retro_szamitogep_kiegeszito_c1747.html
And select Commodore (but sometimes you will find them outside).

Mainly C64 tapes, discs are cartridges are there but sometimes C16 you may also found.

One example:

GWNN (Mastertronic) and Airwolf (?) pretty expensive (7€+postage)
http://www.vatera.hu/2db_commodore_16_eredeti_jatek_progi_156383189.html

(don't be optimisitc, Hungarian postage is expensive )

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-11-13
15:52:55

I mean I can help you, if you need anything, to break down language barriers...

Posted By

johncl
on 2009-11-13
16:59:23

Thank you for the tip. I will keep an eye on that forum and I already spotted a C64 lot containing a title I have been looking for. But I don't know which sellers to trust here and what kind of payment arrangement I can make... and how safe it is. happy

And yes I am only after originals, although with the Italian "releases" I don't know which companies are considered official distribution channels, and which sold pirated stuff. happy

So what would postage be for one game to Norway from Hungary? Is it very expensive?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-11-13
17:17:55

Hi John,
besides Ebay this site is a good place to start with. Personally, I don't collect games and basically, I reduced my collection to those games that mean something to me. However, there are a couple of users here who do collect games and have quite impressive collections.
Some of them are from Germany (so am I) and I'm sure they have lots of extra tapes published by German companies like Kingsoft and so on. Some games (e.g. Winter Events) were owned by virtually every C16 user here. So they are quite common and you should get them easily.
You should definitely register (Send an e-mail to Csabo and ask for a login), as this makes getting in touch much easier.

Btw, your website seems to be down?!

Posted By

johncl
on 2009-11-14
04:39:59

Hi and thank you. It seems this is the best community site for C16/Plus4 discussions so it was a natural choice. I will definitely mail him and register although I wouldnt consider myself as part of the "scene" as such. The C64 was mainly my computer although I am facinated by the amount of colors you can display on a C16/Plus4. Not to mention a richer basic.

And yes I have noticed that a lot of the Plus4 computers going on ebay Germany often have Winter Events with them and from what I have understood it is also one of the better titles for this computer (and programmed by a legend).

The servertheworld.net provider is somewhat flaky and I noticed that it was down yesterday. Its up again today fortunately.

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-11-14
13:51:11

Hi John,
I just checked your great collection, and I am fully impressed, congrat happy

OFF
BTW, you mentioned, that some of the collected items look too yellowish/brownish, and you are looking for a better one. Maybe this page have some good news for you, if you were not awrae of that previously.
Previously in this forum there was a discussion, that the yellowish/brownish color of these plastics are caused by some chemical reaction, and this chemical effect can be reverted by hydrogenperoxid (if I remember well, not rechecked now) and UV lamp.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com

Posted By

johncl
on 2009-11-14
14:35:34

Hi and thank you. happy - It started with the top 100 according to lemon64 votes and it kinda grew from that. Although it has taken a new purpose now that I try to contribute in the c64tapes.org preservation project. I am also dedicated in making a good retro collector site that we are currently working on. I love this era of computing, especially the early 8bit days since they mark an important turning point in home computing.

And yes I know about retrobright but I havent gotten around to try it on anything I have. My Amiga 1000 is possibly a good candidate, although I guess I will try it first on an old C64 I got.

Although my initial post was about C16/Plus4 games, I am really after anything C64 and VIC20 I presently don't have. I have an emphasis on tape releases though, simply because they are a bit cheaper to get although I buy the odd disk release now and then. I know that Kingsoft and Quellesoft releases should at least be easier to find in Germany but generally I feel ebay prices have been a tad high so far (considering shipping costs since many will only send with DHL). My dream is to come across a German collector or shop that has a nice stock where one can pick and choose. :P

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-11-14
18:19:57

BTW do you know, that you caused me a shock? First time I heard, that one of my fav games, The Hobbit, has a disc version?
Certainly only on C64, but something where I can (re)start a project.

Posted By

johncl
on 2009-11-15
15:42:51

Yes, the disk version of The Hobbit for the C64 is a bit better than the tape version. I guess its definitely a game that could be ported to the C16/Plus4.

A fair decent lot of Plus4 titles went on ebay Germany tonight, but prices were a fair lot higher than I had expected.

Besides the Mastertronic and Codemasters titles which were mass produced in large quantities I sometimes wonder what kind of production numbers some of the C16/Plus4 games have. Some of them are indeed fairly rare and generally I don't see that many games on ebay either.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-11-15
16:00:45

There is a Hobbit, The version on plus/4 already. Though, it's based on the tape version. But if the game play is the same it shouldn't be too hard to add the graphics from the disk version. Since they are plain hi-res they can be "ported" just the way they are.

(Edited ;) )

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-11-16
02:10:23

Yes,, could be integrated into 64K (maybe, but a lot of pictures).
My idea is to swap them with multicolor, even bigger pictures.
That anyhow need the disc. I just downloaded from Lemon the Disc version of C64 and will have a look on the format, and how I may swap them.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-11-17
19:52:52

John...

I think DHL is the only option for Germans to ship to Norway because neither Hermes nor GLS ship to Norway

Quellesoft titles are definitly much rarer than Kingsoft ones. They are probably rarer than anything Mastertronic etc, even here in Germany.

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-11-18
01:49:22

Do not forget the several Novotrade titles, although due to their Hungarian anguage could be a challenge for a nordic guy happy
But you can handle them a some kind of "unique" things. It it like my Philips phone I bought in HK: probably noone else will have a second one in the country... happy

Posted By

johncl
on 2009-11-20
15:05:58

Indeed, I only got a few Quellesoft releases for C64 so far, none for C16/Plus4.

I frequently see Kingsoft titles when machines are auctioned yes so I guess those arent that rare. Problem is that they were released on both disk and tape, almost no other publishers released anything on disk for the C16/Plus4 with the exception of Novagen (still don't have any German releases from them either). And then you have the nice Data Beutner games and educational titles with rather simple hand-drawings (I really like releases like that). The last ones on my list are a couple of Robtek King Size releases as well as some UserSoft releases. Ah and some Tynesoft releases got special German treatment as well as a German version of World Cup Carnival (I miss both versions). And the two Golden Games releases is also important. happy

Official Hungarian releases would also be nice to find since I understand that this was one of the countries where the C16/Plus4 became fairly popular.

Ah well, it will be quite some time until I got it all, but I am in no rush either. Fortunately, the C16/Plus4 catalogue is quite managable compared to many other systems. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024