Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-10-12
10:13:15
 Yape 0.84 / Request for SID-card sample playback fix

While checking out Aefro-Mix I noticed that someone added a note "Needs a 6581 SID-Card!". This was a bit misleading because Solder's SID-card uses a 8580. However, it applies a simple "fix" so that samples can be heard. Only in emulators you should use the 6581 setting for now.

Gaia...
Could you please add SID digi playback to Yape for the 8580? Because that's what we get with a real SID-card anyway happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2009-10-13
15:31:24
 Re: Yape 0.84 / Request for SID-card sample playback fix

Heh, thanks Chicken. It's been on my todo list for ages now, just never had the motivation to implement it. Perhaps now... happy

(actually, I do not know exactly how Solder's card implemented digi support either, so I figured as long as it's digi, it doesn't matter if it's a 6581 or a 8580 wink )

Posted By

TLC
on 2009-10-13
15:42:04

He implemented it by pulling the Audio In pin of the SID low(ish) using a resistor (see http://solder.dyndns.info/pub/files/commodore/plus4/hardware/SID-Card/Schematic_SID-card.gif). That puts a constant voltage level on the mixer... he might have taken that hack from C64 where it had been a problem that "new" C64s (8580) didn't play digi for long (they had already invented that method by then).

Posted By

Gaia
on 2009-10-13
15:48:48

Thanks, TLC. I suspected it was some DC added "somewhere" so it became the Audio In (what else) happy I figure you are referring to that 180 kOhm resistor. How does its level compare to that of the 6581 I wonder?

Posted By

TLC
on 2009-10-13
16:07:14

Evil knows that wink. It might have been selected empirically (similar digi volume level to 6581).

I suspect it might also contribute a fair amount of DC distortion to the end result (due to pulling the mixer's middle signal level from optimum) but I'm not sure yet (...and it's probably irrelevant here anyway).

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-10-13
16:53:35

Yes, that "fix" was published in magazines like 64'er almost as soon as the new SIDs showed up.

Bionic, if I remember correctly, mentioned that it's a major source of distortion. Still, I can take those if I can have digis happy

Gaia,
it's not THAT important but if it has been on your list anyway... happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024