Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2009-09-23
16:41:36
 Re: TV Switch Box

Thanks, Christian!... happy O.K. I'll do.

MMS: I haven't suggested S-Video because of two reasons.

1.) There aren't that many TVs out there that support S-Video "out of the box" (and if they do, they can support it in three different ways -- native S-Video socket, RCA sockets or a non-standard extension of SCART)... by that things start getting complicated. For example, if the TV has SCART, you most probably can't just decide (at first sight) whether it supports S-Video at all (...because it's usually an option, which may or may not work on some particular TV). I just wanted to keep things simple, and with that, getting the composite method to work suggested "optimal" investment and gain wink .

2.) There's unfortunately not that much to be gained by using the separate luma/chroma output as concerning the Plus/4. The luma output of the Plus/4 is pretty noisy. There's plenty of crosstalk between the luma and chroma signals. If your display's resolution is high "enough", you can see that as a grainy artifact over the image. With that, things turn out that separate luma/chroma might not be ultimately preferable; at the very least, it's a decision if you prefer sharp edges with crosstalk or a bit more blurry image with no artifacts... Composite still gives far superior results over RF... so I just didn't think separate luma/chroma was worth dealing with in this case (or if it would have meant a significant gain here over composite).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024