Posted By

indi
on 2009-09-08
12:39:29
 Sid Play on the iPhone...

I'm so happy.... I could cry... happy

http://iphone.vanille.de/sidplayer/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShFgu8mTAyc

AWESOME! Finally listening to some real music while I work again....

Posted By

Gaia
on 2009-09-08
15:08:54
 Re: Sid Play on the iPhone...

What? Didn't you listen to MP3's from real SID recordings? Bah... wink

On a related note: I recently saw how people found Apple being stupid not allowing a C= emulator to run on the iPhone but they did allow a SID player which is in fact an almost complete emulator in itself... happy

Posted By

indi
on 2009-09-08
15:37:55

Yeah. I wondered that too. Actually, they did allow it, just not to be able to download games (other scripts) from external sites, No idea about this one. Perhaps they don't realise.... or perhaps its downloading MP3's....

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-09-08
19:07:09

I wondered about that (SIDplayer=emulator), too happy

And as of today/yesterday, APPLE has removed the C64 emulator again. Because with some trickery you could execute BASIC programs and as we all know BASIC is the PRIME EVIL happy Well, maybe second to APPLE's policies.

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2009-09-11
07:43:26

Apple doesn't forbid emulators per se, they forbid emulators/virtual machines/scripting languages that allow the user to run arbitrary programs. While you can theoretically execute any piece of 6502 code in a .sid, the only output is sound (or silence for that matter). But if someone demonstrates how you can run stuff in the sidplayer, I'm sure Apple will pull that one too. So don't happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2009-09-11
15:39:37

Sigh...

/flame on

I wonder how everyone is spitting on Microsoft when Apple's practices are at least equally as scandalous... (well, to me anyway happy ) But I guess that is part of the marketing stunt they're pulling.

/flame off

happy

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-09-11
15:49:58

Gaia...

That's exactly my point. But Apple has fanboys en masse and Microsoft doesn't. My iPod is crippled by Apples restrictions and no other company would get away with such crap. (Remember how everybody was dissing SONY for using ATRAC etc? What Apple does is 100 times worse but most Apple users seem to be fine with it.)

Well, it's really no use spending time on this because Apple desciples will always buy anything apple. And I would buy a new plus/4 even if I know about the 2 colors in 8x8 pixels restrictions ;)

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2009-09-12
11:15:02

Then why don't you buy a rockbox capable mp3 player instead? There's no point in buying stuff and then complaining about documented and known limitations.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-09-12
11:37:37

I didn't buy it. It was a christmas gift from my agency at that time.

Of course I know about rockbox but unfortunately, my iPod (classic, video) is not supported (due to Apple's decision to protect the code in later generation iPods).

I don't really agree with "not complaining". Even if there are altenatives, those aren't always alternatives for me (why should I buy another mp3-player?). Plus, if you don't "complain" you let companies get away with too much crap (or they might not even realize that it is crap what they are doing).

Also Apple is far from documenting everything, e.g. When installing iTunes you are not even asked if you want to have "MobileMe" or not.

Btw, I don't hate Apple or their products. I'm just a critical customer wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2009-09-15
11:30:05

Yeah... totally agree. Obtaining an iPhone appears totally irrational to me. This post on comp.sys.cbm says it all (from your fellow countryman happy ):

http://groups.google.nl/group/comp.sys.cbm/browse_thread/thread/b8c2241fdd0d9b14/b3cb20960cd13633?hl=nl#b3cb20960cd13633

Posted By

indi
on 2009-09-15
12:41:30

I have to say, I got an iPhone to try it. I was fed up carrying a phone, and and iPod so this seemed logical. I was totally taken by surprise with the apps. Some of them are fab! I've got a great eBook reader which gives me 20,000 free (older) books and its actually "nice" to use.. Theres also a few others (like SIDPlay) that makes it a really nice device to use.

Also... My "old" phone snapped in 2 (dont get me started!), so I needed a new phone as well..

Just my 2p happy

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-09-15
15:40:00

indi,
from what I read in your blog it seems to be a nice gadget to develop stuff for and obviously, there is a huge market for apps. (And even if many apps are mediocre at best or the 147336th in line to do the same thing some are REALY nice and make good use of the touch screen etc.)
From my point of view it's just sad that apple limits the capabilities so much. The C64 emulator is a good example... The user interface (joystick etc) looks really good but with 5 not so cool games it's really wasting its potential.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024