Posted By

Kirk
on 2009-07-14
01:58:22
 Many questions

Greetings,

Is there a FAQ somewhere ? I have all these questions -

Can 'Save' work with YAPE ? I set the directory but there are 0 Blocks Free
What is a Disk Image folder? Can files be saved to-from and how ?
Can a Disk Drive or Printer be connected to the PC and work with YAPE

Years ago I had a x1541 cable. Are these still used or is something better around now?

It's been great running some of my old software on YAPE. Compliments to the author(s)

Regards to all, Kirk

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-07-14
19:30:54
 Re: Many questions

Hey Kirk,

Unfortunately there's no FAQ on these particular topics. The forum regulars should be able to help you with most of these though, especially Gaia, as he's the one who wrote YAPE and the questions are all related to that emulator.

1) Save/Dsave will work fine with YAPE, in both modes. You're talking about the "fake" mode, in that case, the saved files will go to the PC file system, but directory will display 0 blocks free. Just ignore that. Obviously you have free space on your HDD, which could be a few hundred gigabytes... How many free blocks would that be? happy

2) Where did you see that term ("disk image folder") exactly?

3) Disk drives can be connected to the PC, and there's software that will work with it (The Star Commander). YAPE won't work with them directly AFAIK. Printers - I'm not sure, I'll let someone else answer that.

4) X1541 may work- I think it depends on your operating system and the software you're using. There are newer cables I think, see the star commander link above.

Hope this helps!

Posted By

Kirk
on 2009-07-15
01:55:44

Thanks for the reply, Csabo. Very helpful... I'm about to make up the xe1541 cable when I get the four diodes tomorrow.
Yes, Save worked just as you describe! Sorry I misunderstood Bytes Free message.
Disk image Folder is my term for the .Dxx Disk images which I'm yet to understand. I guessed
they'd be a folder, but maybe not.
At the moment I don't have a Plus/4... just a C128. But I have much of my old P/4 software and have been slowly getting it onto the PC by copying the files to a floppy with Big Blue Reader and my 1581. So the direct method seems far superior.
I spent an afternoon in Excel making a macro that would read through my P/4 programs and
create a file which I could print a listing from. It worked very well happy Although now I can save a SEQ file, CMD: LIST would have been good enough.

If I get that far, making a joystick interface will be mandatory, I bet that's not easy... have soldering iron tho!
Cheers - Kirk

Posted By

Gaia
on 2009-07-15
15:27:50

Hi Kirk! The Commodore serial IEC printers are supported in Yape, both as device 4 and 5. This includes printing to raw and CR/LF corrected ASCII dumps as well as bitmap with the MPS-803 printer on an IEC protocol level and a CPU level emulation of the MPS-802, though the latter has a few known issues and only works with bitmap file as target. The path of the target output file can be specified through the printer setup dialog window. Also, custom character ROMs can be specified for these printers.

For making a listing of your BASIC stuff type simply (after enabling printer 4):
OPEN4,4
CMD4
LIST
CLOSE4

Posted By

Kirk
on 2009-07-15
23:09:39

Hi Gaia,
Nice to meet you and congratulations on a very fine emulator. Brings back lots of fond memories.
Yes I have the listing working now, although the resultant file doesn't seem to be complete.
When you mention the 803 printer is that connected to the PC via the xe1541 cable? I have a Super Graphix Gold interface and maybe I can use that and print to my HP laserjet?
Can you confirm if "Star Commander" is required or can you access the drives with Yape and xe1541?

Thanks - kirk

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024