Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-05-12
07:41:20
 Re: TED Music Collection?

Did you read the .sid files tech infos?
Most of the stuff in it is there in order to fix all the troubles in RSID/PSID/whatever compatibility. It seems we would need a lot less than a $7C long header to switch the emulation's features the music would need, in case of .ted (and no .tes) file.
Let's try to compare with it and see what we would need ([?]) and we need for sure ([*]).

[?] initial magicID: Ian Coog did an attempt and put a 4bytes "TED!"; but, if there's no need to eventually mark .ted and .tes files because a specific flag will do it, I really don't strictly see the point in having it...oh well yeah it's cool of course wink
[*] data offset: the length of ID itself;
[?] load address: oh well, the following prg part will contain in the very end, who cares here? RSID is our mastah!
[*] init/play addresses: init=0 if BASIC enabled (hence, no BASIC flag needed!); if init >$8000, oh well it doesn't seems to be a pain; if play=0, we expect an irq subroutine would be installed by the init
[*] #songs: I'm quite sure there are, like for SIDs done with a common tracker/editor, TED music files containing more than one music/sfx;
[*] start song: default 1 if not touched;
[?] speed: aaaaargh this looks difficut to me! if 0, then it runs as chosen (PAL/NTSC, callback 1 per frame); on C64, CIA is used when it's =1, so the music is called nth time per frame because CIA calls an interrupt once the machine waits for the machine time set in $DC04/$DC05, so if the SID tune is, for example, a 4x tune, CIA is set to be [ALLTHESCREENTIME/4-1]; what about plus/4? TLCPlay's files for example have a 3rd JSR when played 2x; should we simply set a stub player before the original .prg in all the multispeed cases? speed also should affect digi music, am I right?
[*] text: very .sid-like, with TITLE AUTHOR and COPYRIGHT field (.sid has 32 bytes long, should be enough);
[*] pal/ntsc/unknown
[?] reloc startpage/reloc pagelength: mmm bah bofh mah dunno, dunnidit..
[?] reserved: for future features we're forgetting now, without changing all the previous .ted and .tes files?

This for a .ted files: the usage of SID, instead of this simple stuff, would need maaany moooore flags in the header, with SID model stuff and so on. We have to decide: a single format header which contains eventually EVERYTHING, SID included (but I strongly suggest again to use .tes instead of .ted in order to prevent audience's misunderstanding), OR two different, precisely separated, formats.

In the meantime, I've just cleaned my TED files, and they are ready to be included, I invite Sire Degauss Csabo TLC Erno Britelite 4-mat in doing the same, and eventually send the files to me wink

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024