Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-06
15:42:33
 DASM for dummies

hey! is there any DASM guide for lamers as i'm? i have Csabo's sources, an example source by DCD and thats all. So there is a command guide, or a "dasm for dummies" or something? Or can i figure everything out for myself? happy

I can build a running program now, with flickering the border but its not enough for me..

Posted By

Lacoste
on 2009-03-07
07:28:51
 Re: DASM for dummies

Please Króna, leave it to the real coders! The gfx man is only a GFX man, not a coder ! happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-03-07
08:33:33

Come on, do not be so selfish... happy

I am also a gfx-man, but coded the world's very first fully mouse-commanded Fractal-generator program for PC (in 1995).
So we can also have some (still not discovered) potentials, yes, Króna? happy

Maybe till I become 50, I can finish my very first Megademo for Plus/4! (I am 35 now, ohmmm, we need some patience)

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-07
10:39:46

i got some little progression.. Want to code an intro with some easy effects (scroller, etc.) as i do it some years ago.. if ever it finished i will publish the source for you (as csabo did and i'm really appreciated) happy

Posted By

Degauss
on 2009-03-07
11:37:10

Though its definetly not the best assembler around i really like DASM and i'm working all the time with it. The tings i like most about DASM are the macro-functionality and the SUBROUTINE-pseudo-opcode (local labels are verrrrry useful).

Posted By

SVS
on 2009-03-07
14:12:00

Everybody is a coder in the life happy

P.S. - Mega-assembler has macros and offset functionalities (and more...)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-03-07
18:09:12

I think we (i.e. the scene) would benefit from everyone using the same assembler: easier to code utilities, easier to share code snippets etc. Obviously I'll be standing behind AS65. On the Plus/4 scene I probably have the most source code released, so that must count for something... happy

Anyway, for the two issues Degauss mentioned: macros are well supported in AS65. I'm okay without local labels because I have a very simple method of coming up with non-conflicting labels. One thing that AS65 has and I'm not sure others do is the CMAP function. It's really powerful and useful for some data tables.

So... Since AS65 is the "official" assembler of Plus4IDE (it has built in docs available from the help), my real question is: what's wrong with it? Why'd you pick something else instead?

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-08
04:17:51

it was a random choice, dcd did it happy
i will check AS65 too, thx!

Posted By

Csio
on 2009-03-08
06:05:16

try plus4ide llamer and forget what Lacoste said cause he is the real llama!
plus4ide a little bit of strange after monitor, what little bit...terrible but much-much better than another ones!
Just ask for something about it from Csabo and he will help ya.
just call him!
csabo non-stop answer line is working day and night!
i can't believe how can he do it but he is active like batman! happy

so you need to see it isn't a joke
try plus4ide and don't smoke!

hehehe!!!

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-08
14:25:51

just a fast question:

org $4000
incbin "charset.prg"

if i do this way, the executable fucks up (charset looks buggy, music doesn't work besides the main program looks ok, the problem is with just the included binary things), why this happens?

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-03-08
14:29:28

Ian Coog/HF uses a version of DASM of his own, try it!
(use rightclick and save!)

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-08
14:54:19

thx luca!

incprg charset.prg,$4000

used instead of the mentioned one and everything is fine now!

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-19
17:45:28

i discovered notepad++ for editing the source code it is extremely handy (hey dcd, its far-far better than FAR manager's editor) - try it!

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net

i faced some minor problems most of them solved but there is one thing i don't know yet..
so a sample:
irq1:
* lda #$50 <- i want here a tag but i need only 2 bytes
sta $0314
jmp $fcc3
irq2:
inc $ff09
if i use lda irq2 at * then i get lda$xxyy in the compiled program, so how can is manage to pass irq2-s lower or upper bytes.. yap i mean i want to load the next irq's address into $0314.. thx!

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-03-20
12:13:15

Sorry to ask, it will be VERY lame... But what about the C compilers on Plus/4?
I heard in the past, that the C language is the closest to something understandable by the computer, so the program made in C, and compiled afterwards, will be very fast...
Anyone thied C compiler on plus/4, mixed with small asemsbly routines? Was there any trials by anyone to build up any libraries with fast routines?
Could greatly speed up SW-development, any may help the lazy bastards, like me...
(OK, I am not lazy, but 70% of my time spend to find the next flat we want to live...)

Posted By

NinjaDRM
on 2009-03-20
12:27:11

There is http://www.cc65.org/ and as you can see, it already supports a variety of C= 8 bitters. It may be nice for games and utilities, still for serious demos I dare to say this is not an option (feel free to prove me wrong happy)

Using one assembler may have advantages, but it is too unrealistic, I fear. Want another one? How about DreamAss http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=14608? happy

Posted By

JamesD
on 2009-03-20
16:29:51

C is usually pretty efficient and one of the fastest languages next to assembly. However, C uses the stack a lot and the 6502 has a small stack space (256 bytes). That usually results in some less than optimal code out of a 6502 C compiler to manually handle a larger stack instead of just using the regular stack.

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-03-20
16:48:37

Actually, I tried it.
In fact, it is not so well documented, and there are very few libraries.

I do not say, that there NO documents, just it is very tiring to read it on screen, and all the docus I found, was made on the annoying old-fashioned HTML form, I dislike to read...
In fact the layout is more a help-style something, than a booklet (I prefer).

In fact there is NO C16 Plus/4 graphics driver for this package yet to use the hires screen,as far as I could read. As as I am mainly a graphician, it made it almost useless (or equal to write in assembly) to create my loader routine.
Pls correct me if I am wrong...

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-21
19:36:12

nobody knows the answer for my question??? happy

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2009-03-22
04:19:02

Chronos,

I assume that you are using DASM. The following two lines are from the DASM documentation:
	20  <exp    take LSB byte of a 16 bit expression
20 >exp take MSB byte of an expression

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-22
06:13:29

thx, i will try it!

Posted By

JamesD
on 2009-03-23
01:04:13

>i discovered notepad++ for editing the source code it is extremely handy (hey dcd, its far-far better than FAR manager's editor) - try it!
>
>http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net

Thanks for the info.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024