Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-02-28
12:10:10
 Who was TRIGATRA?

In a couple of older demos (e.g. Musics From 64 II , The Last Demo (23C)) a cracker or group by the name of TRIGATRA is listed in the greetings. I guess he/they was/were from Hungary. Any details anyone?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-02-28
18:42:17
 Re: Who was TRIGATRA?

That name popped up in many other places as well, but I don't think I saw a release from them. Pigmy himself would probably know, maybe Crown as well.

What this brings up though is another topic: we should make all the text in all programs searchable. I'm sure some of you noticed that I started this already. This includes games, demos, magazines. That way, rare info like this will pop up. I use a small program I wrote (which I just put up, if anyone want to use it), basically I save the .PRG (only the text part) and then convert the screen codes to text with this program.

That program brings up another topic: the process of getting all this done requires a bigger, better organizational effort, or at least some kind of mission statement, or FAQ page. If anyone feels like helping out with this, let me know!

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-02-28
18:57:18

That's why I asked. I have never seen a Trigatra release. But then I haven't seen many Hungarian cracks either and I know there are lots of them.

Of course I noticed that happy I always liked scroll texts (I just told you yesterday happy ) but especially with some doc or info files this would help. I'm not sure, though, if many ppl care about this as much as we do. And it does feel a bit like disecting, doesn't it? wink

You should put up that program anyway.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-01
00:56:18

Csabo...

Actually, I DID check out your little tool. Works like a charm happy

See Rap Demo

Just one question... I copied and pasted the textfile which had many spaces. These are not visible here anymore. Are they automatically removed? I guess it's not important for scroll texts but for layout reasons in diskmags this might screw things up.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-03-01
08:43:16

Glad you got it working happy One reason I used to shy away from releasing my utilities was the fear of people not "getting" them. I even wrote a little help file for most because of that.

The spaces are taken out by the browser. That's how white spaces are treated in HTML. For scrolltexts I usually leave it, for mags, it's a must to retain them, so I enclose the text in a (PRE) (/PRE) tag pair.

Posted By

Rachy
on 2009-03-01
09:13:55

Uh, please don't publish the texts from the demos in a searchable form... :P

After rereading all the stupid things I used to write in these, I would rather not see finding myself via googling on anything related... happy

Note to children: take good care what you are publishing about yourself on the net, it stays there forever... wink

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-01
13:46:47

Rachy...

Yeah, I thought about that, too. That's why I haven't used one of my own hidden messages to test Csabo's tool wink

Maybe we should put a disclaimer above the scroll texts that they have to be seen in a historical context wink

Nevertheless, if someone made an instruction file it's a good thing to have it here right away.

Csabo...
I forgot about the tag. Thanks! Agreed, retaining them in mag texts is a must!

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-03-02
15:38:30

I checked few places, but could not find any reference to such a coder/cracker.
In fact at that time TPPC already decided to move to Amiga (he lived in Szeged, like me in my childhood), he was a knwon programmer at the time I started to learn assembly.
So I think Trigatra should be a coder/swapper on AMiga, not on Plus/4. Why?
There was a guy we know both, called Savanya (Zsolt?), and they bought their Amiga at almost the same time. I visited Zsolt few times, and he demonstrated me the Shadow of the Beast, and some coding stuff (how he can see and navigate in a graphical monitor system the content of memory, how a bitmap or mod music looked like in the memory, how to rip it...). Yeah, it was shocking happy
At that time -if I remember well- I met once with TPPC. (in fact he is a reall "sharp" guy if you what I mean)
He was really Amiga focused at that time, seems he will never look back to 8 bit any more. He already built up a lot of contact there, eg. Pitesoft mentioned in the same demo (Istvan Weiser) was also a guy with an Amiga (also left plus/4 few months earlier), was in the same school as me. So in the greetengs there are already tons of Amiga references, maybe not worth to screen them through...

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-02
22:10:58

MMS...
Thanks for the info. I just wondered about Trigatra because he/they showed up in several greeting lists. So at least some ppl must have known him/them.

Anyway, Csabo's tool comes in quite handy. There'll be an update soon (I heard wink ).

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-03-02
23:14:30

Trigatra had to be a very old school swapper. See Winter Music for details: Pigmy mentions him but also says he doesn't know many other scene members.

I updated the tool, Chicken used it and found some shortcomings: there was a need for divide and multiply operators and comments. I added those.

BTW Rachy, I know what you mean... We do try to be sensitive about it. It's always a judgment call whether to put some text up or not. If you look at the last few things added, you'll note that some personal details were withheld. The rule of thumb should be to add the text if it contains some useful or interesting historical info. I won't be surprise if the day comes when Google figures out how to retrieve the content of .PRG files and starts indexing them. wink

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-02
23:25:53

I already noticed the "name/address withheld" in the scroll texts. I think that's a good solution... It's not meant to bring up any delicate details of teenage hacker lives wink And no need to re-read endless lists of TIT dissing wink Nevertheless, some texts are quite interesting and worth bringing up here. (Mine are not! So don't even feel tempted :P )

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-03-10
12:18:43

Lone News, being pure shit when it has been coded, shows quite a difficult habit to text converting, but these rules can be close enough...

[lone news]
$00..$CD=$00
$CE..$E8=-$6E
$e9=0
$ea=1
$eb=2
$ec=3
$ed=4
$ee=5
$ef=6
$f0=7
$f1=8
$f2=9
$f3=,
$f4=.
$f5=:
$f6=;
$f7=!
$f8=?
$f9='
$fa=-
$fb=/
$fc=+
$fe="
$ff=*

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-11
04:14:52

Come on Luca,
don't put your work down! It's the longest running "scene-ish" mag around and everything starts small. And things hadn't been coded with future text ripping in mind wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024