Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-01-06
22:55:35
 Re: Austrospeed for Plus4 freeware?

SVS,
are you saying that those C64 decompilers CAN recompile the programs that were compiled on plus/4? Or do you mean "They can't recompille..."?

I remember trying a recompiler on plus/4 which was probably just a "converted" C64 one. It didn't work and I suspected that it was due to the different basic. Could be a different reason.

That the Austrospeed Compiler is compiled itself seems logically. Isn't this called "bootstrapping" (a compiler written in the language that it compiles)?

In some forums ppl claimed that it (the C64 version) is public domain. However, I doubt that for various reasons. "The Raven" was a cracker. If he had written the compiler, he would have said so somewhere, don't you think? Furthermore, it's a program with history: There have been various Austro Compilers on several platforms. I know that there's an AustroComp for VIC/VC20 and for C64. AustroSpeed exists on C64, too.
I'm not sure if I have ever seen an ad for it, though. Has RĂ¼diger commented on this one? I think he knows almost any commercial release happy

The name Austro kinda suggests Austrian origin... So if it was indeed a commercial release there should be some evidence in the magazines published in German speaking countries.

What are the issues with AustroSpeed? Maybe we can help you to create a workaround.

What about other compilers?

I have played a bit with the MICRO BASIC COMPILER years ago. It has a very limited Basic vocabulary and it can't really be used to speed up existing programs. Nevertheless, if you consider the limitations while programming (and use lots of peeks and pokes) it's somewhat ok. Though, after checking the resulting code I was a bit disappointed how complicated it was done. And if you use lots of pokes, it's probably easier to code in machine language right away.

I have seen another "compiler" but that was Polish or Hungarian and I didn't have any docs for.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024