Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-12-28
09:46:20
 Re: Austrospeed for Plus4 freeware?

The speed increase of programs will vary greatly depending on what they do. I don't think any of us has done any formal speed testing, although this is a great idea.

Especially for graphics commands it's not going to give any speedup: it will still call exactly the same routines as normal BASIC would call. What will be faster is the interpretation of the parameters and making the call itself.

If they implemented a more optimized line drawing routine, it would be possible to gain a lot of speed increase (at the cost of memory). Also, this is off topic to AustroSpeed but mentioned the Ferrari drawing program it brought back memories... Drawing circles can be made much faster by drawing geometric shapes with many sides. Try these two:
CIRCLE,160,100,100
CIRCLE,160,100,100,,,,,20
The second is a lot faster and still resembles a circle.

As for decompiling programs, I'm certain it is possible. However, for one you would probably not get back exactly the same BASIC program, there would probably be slight differences. Second, I don't think there's a decompiler in existence.

Most importantly: the answer to SVS' question is the magazine you mentioned. Do you think you could find that ad somewhere? That's exactly what we're looking for: confirmation that this was a commercial release (although your unsubstantiated claim is good enough for me).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024