Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-01-30
07:32:40
 Plus4emu disk read question

Hi IstvanV,
I come back to play with your emu. How could I to read/write into a .prg file, resideng it inside a Win folder instead of in a D64 image? In other hand: is there a way to use an IEC drive emulation?
Thanx

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-01-30
07:59:39
 Re: Plus4emu disk read question

There is no IEC drive emulation yet, only hardware level emulation. This has been on the "todo" list for quite some time, but I did not actually implement it so far.
So, with the current version you can load/save PRG files with the usual F8/Shift-F8 dialogs, or using the p4fileio.rom extension, or with the L/S commands of the debugger. p4fileio.rom is basically just a hack that patches the load/save vectors so that it is possible to access the file system directly by using device 7, and it also implements a simple tape turbo. It is not much more useful than just using the GUI menus for loading or saving PRG files, but if you do want to use it anyway, it can be enabled by turning on virtual file I/O in the machine configuration, loading one of the configuration files that include "FileIO", and setting the working directory. To set the load and save vectors - which may be overwritten by the kernal other programs -, run G 63A in the monitor. The save mode is selected by writing to $647: $07, $17, $27, $37, or $47 will use file system access, or tape turbo with increasing speed, respectively.

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-01-30
09:03:09

Thank you for replies.
My current project development (BalSys) needs to work with large files that I save on a PC folder. It should be difficult to manage them inside a D64 image, and even to copy them into, because their sizes are larger then 64K.
When compiling, by Austrospeed, I need to read from one of these large file (say from Device#8), and to save compiled code into a D64 image (say Device#9). As a bonus by reading from an IEC device, I obtain more elaboration speed (with Yape).
These are the reason of my need of an automatic IEC device, glad to try it with Plus4emu too happy

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-01-30
09:18:39

Well, it seems then I really need to start implementing IEC level drive emulation, although it may only be done in 1.2.7.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-05-18
13:47:07

I have a mostly working beta version now for testing, which can be downloaded from here: http://www.sharemation.com/IstvanV/p4e126b1.7z
To install it, you need an already existing installation of version 1.2.5.2 (available at SourceForge); the .7z file should be unpacked to the installation directory, overwriting any older files.

The IEC level drive emulation in this version allows access to the PC filesystem directory that can be selected with "Options/Set working directory", and is enabled when the drive type for unit 8 or 9 is set to 1551, but no D64 file is selected (you may need to use "Options/Floppy/Disable unused drives" if a disk image was previously used and the true drive emulation is still active).
Note that the filesystem access is read only by default, but this can be changed in the "Machine/Configure..." menu.
Currently implemented features include reading and writing PRG, SEQ, USR, and REL type files (the latter one is quite possibly buggy, though), listing the directory, getting the error message (DS$), and the following commands: C (also merge), I, N (scratches all files, and sets the disk label and ID), P, R, S, and V.

The FLTK file dialogs have been replaced with native Windows dialogs.

A few utilities are also included:
compress.exe - compresses .prg files
p4fliconv*.exe - image converter (supports several video modes and output formats)
p4sconv.exe - converts PixelShop .p4s format files to the output formats of p4fliconv
tapconv.exe - converts .tap files to plus4emu format tape files

Posted By

Gaia
on 2008-05-18
13:58:07

Too bad you've replaced the FLTK dialog in the converter, I liked the preview mode a lot... is actually better than the native one.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-05-18
14:14:12

I can revert the converter to using the FLTK dialog. In fact I preferred the FLTK file dialog also because of the "favorites" feature which allows quick access to frequently used directories.
Actually, only two or three people reported so far that they do not like the file dialogs in the emulator, so it would be best to hear more opinions to decide which one is more popular.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-05-20
17:37:40

Updated version (full installer): http://www.sharemation.com/IstvanV/plus4emu-1.2.6-beta2.exe
This fixes a few bugs, adds some new GUI keyboard shortcuts, and reverts the file dialogs in the image converter to FLTK.
Since this is still beta, bug reports, and feature suggestions are welcome, as usual.

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-05-21
11:46:55

Hi Istvan,
the beta seems to work fine happy . I tested the IEC engine and it works. Only to signal you that the first time I've typed a DIR to the IEC device, the PC hard-disk has "rumbled" some seconds, then the list did appear (this was done only first time).
Regarding other emu features, I notice a better "keyboard response" against the slow kayboard I experienced since previous versions (the keyboard seemed not listening to all the keys pressed).
The ALT-W speed still does not supply a great improvement (max is 260% in my PC, YAPE achieves 430% in same conditions).
Hoping to be useful, thank you for updating your great work!
Bye

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-05-26
12:34:44

Hi ! I did not change anything in the keyboard code (other than the new GUI shortcuts and some minor fixes related to those), so perhaps the improvement is because of upgrading the FLTK library to 1.1.9 ? In any case, I did not notice much difference.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-06-16
09:34:51

Regarding the emulation speed: I know that it could be better, although you should also note that the TED and display emulation is more accurate/detailed than in YAPE.
An alternate way of getting extra speed for programs that do not need accurate timing (e.g. basic) is to "overclock" the emulated CPU in the machine configuration settings. While this trick obviously breaks demos, and only 1551 drives can be used, it is much more efficient than Alt+W. It is also possible to save the speed settings to two quick configuration files, which can be loaded with PageUp and PageDown, to allow for quickly toggling between normal and fast speed.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024