Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Degauss
on 2007-08-07
17:56:36
 Graphics in "Top File Demos"!?

I just saw the "Eagle" in the Top-File-Demos. (BTW: Very good work Jedi!)
Is that correct? It doesn't feel right, because it is a graphic, not really a demo...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-08-08
10:36:11
 Re: Graphics in "Top File Demos"!?

I agree that they should show up in a different top-list. Since the "graphic" category is brand new I guess our webmaster needs some time to carry out the appropriate changes wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-08-08
21:42:02

You do have a point. However, I think we need to come to a consensus on what the right way of displaying the top list would be before I make any changes.

You can already list Demos/Graphics separately, if you like. But there are also a lot of other subcategories under demo that don't "feel right", the same way as graphics does. E.g. is it fair to compare a 1K demo to a full-blown multi-part file demo? Or how about joke demos, or graphics boxes or music boxes? If we do remove all of those from the demo listing, should we display them right on the default top list page by themselves?

Or just leave it as it is, and let it sort itself out?

Posted By

Degauss
on 2007-08-08
22:52:59

Hi Csabo!

Yes, you're right: The 1k's don't feel right there too. At the moment i'm starting to think that the best way is to wait and see if it - as you said - "sorts itself out".

Some thoughts of mine:

- The number 1k's (and below) released could justify an own Top-List. There are many releases and there sure will be more: Small-Demos and Small-Demo-Compos are not only fun but always a good way to revive/reanimate the scene.

- I would wish for a seperate Graphic-Toplist, because i believe there is going to be some more of that stuff in the future. (Imagine what would happen if there'd be a pixel contest on +4-world). But for now, there are only a handful of graphics released and it would be silly to have a seperate toplist for this category.

- About all the Joke-Demos and Graphic/Music-Boxes... My stomach classifies them as File-Demos. I can't really explain why but i considered them to be "real" Demos back in the old days, when they were released.

- Please don't kill me for this: Maybe its the wrong approach to split up further Top-Lists. What about including the rank/score in the "sl.php" and make it a sort-option? That might add to the "browsability" of the Database.

But these are only my thoughts. I believe other people would think different about it - i agree its hard to find a consensus and every change results in much work. For the moment its surely better to put all these thoughts into a bottle, and wait for them to become wine wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024