Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2007-06-10
12:58:23
 Re: Zeropage's addresses emulation

Err... I'm wondering why should I be reading this comment on a public forum right now (instead of a personal mail and about a year ago, respectively). I could have cleared these doubts of yours with much less hassle (which could, possibly, also spare you some loss of hair in case it hit you).

Well, this is complicated. I should go motive by motive.

First of all, you don't really need my comments. What you're doing is about you. What I say of what you're doing or who you "are" (or what anyone's doing or what anyone or anything "is" ), is generally about me, not you.

...And anyway, who am _I_ so that I could kill _your_ pride in composing on TED whatsoever?...

To more elaborate on what I actually wrote... As I might have mentioned, my personal taste of music doesn't generally match yours. I do like some of your tunes, but usually I prefer other sort of music. This makes me a suboptimal reference for you as to whether your tunes are "good" or "bad". In fact, you shouldn't take it seriously whether I do or don't like some particular tune of yours; say, do you like the tunes of Chris Hülsbeck, Jeroen Tel, Matt Gray, PVCF, Cane, Jeff, Eclipse, and the others (from Atari ST) like Scavenger, Tao, Mad Max, Dark Angel?... Not neccessarily. Yet you (I hope) don't typically think that they had better have stopped (or better have not started at all) composing, or their tunes simply sucked or similar things. But you probably also won't feel that their music is just "yours".

Speaking of myself -- I have a "2-bit" choice at happens like this one... or better said, 2x2 directions. I have an option of being honest, straight, or I may as well lie to myself and others. Second, I may act and speak so that I'm helping people to become what they "are" (ie. realise what they're really capable of doing), and I may as well choose to act and speak so that I'm obstructing people from above. The first one is easier. You may expect that I say what I think. This is as much a warning as a promise... if someone's going to expect false feedback, of any kind, I'm a bad candidate. As for the second question... there, I know the path, but I know I'm simply not always up to it. Sometimes I am. (...As a sidenote: being false means that one ultimately looses his option to choose in the second question; it's impossible to be of any help for people to "improve" (ie. do what they're capable of doing anyway) by lying to them). You may or may not want to live with that. I'm not sure that I told what I thought in an absolutely positive way; but otherwise, what I said matched my perception.

Anyway, you might probably not believe (and this part might not have went through well) but I really liked that you could come along and compose in my player (regardless to whether I actually liked or didn't like the tune that you composed... actually, it was not my kind, that is). I could have thought of different arrangement in particular, but as I understand now, the overall arrangement was also fully intended to be like that, and from that on, that's a matter of taste, rather than a technical question. Regarding that "2x" comment: I encourage you to compose using just as sort of technical details as you want; in fact, players and different technical hacks are just tools; they're unimportant beyond that fact. I don't promise that I'd personally like a particular tune that you compose, but nobody would be ready to promise anything like that to anyone as I guess anyway. You can count on a couple of things; if you ask me whether I like a tune or not, I'll tell you my opinion. If you ask me technical questions, I'll do my best to answer them. If you ask me whether I do respect you composing tunes, the answer is ultimately yes. If you ask me whether I liked that you could get my player to work and use it for composing your tunes, yes, I did (and do).

I hope there wasn't anything more to give an answer to.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024