Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-05-31
16:07:29
 Mario Brothers, Gremlins... Similarities in some games

Mario Brothers and the "Game of the Day" Gremlin (I remember trying to play it, it's unbelievable hard) seem to be written by the same author. There's another game (don't remember the name right) which has very similar looks: It's a vertically scrolling shoot'em up, very simple, one color "sprites".

Does anyone know who wrote these games?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-05-31
16:10:44
 Re: Mario Brothers, Gremlins... Similarities in some games

Make that Gremlin wink

And there's still that "_" bug... Maybe Mario Brothers works.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-05-31
20:15:27

I knew this would come up sooner or later wink I noticed the same thing. Several other games are like that in fact. I marked all of them with "aux" in the notes, search for that.

Maybe someone has the info on this.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-06-01
00:48:31

Actually, I was wondering about this back in the days wink I checked those "aux" marked games and the shoot'em up I was talking about is not listed. Though, that doesn't mean it's not here.

Maybe these games are created with one of the game creators. I never looked into those so I don't know how the games created with them "look". However, it could be just the same author using some code framework over and over again.

Posted By

Sidius
on 2007-06-01
00:58:39

To the games which are marked with aux:

I have a (type-in)game with the name Frogger in a german magazine - written by Werner Bembom in the year 1986...
...I will compare them once - maybe it's the game in request.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-06-04
03:16:54

Skate Roller looks like some of those "aux" marked games, too. At least like those in "hi-res" mode. And the score panel is obviously the same in all these games.

Interestingly, there's a "cracked" version. I'll check it out and see if there's any info.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-06-04
03:33:23

The crack has just the usual "intro screen" by "Section9", no additional information.

The game "feels" exactly like those other games (eg "stopping" for sound fx when losing a life). So I added "aux." in the notes.

If it's a "real" crack then this game should be from a "commercial background". Though, back in the days not everything "cracked" was a real crack (leave alone that there was rarely any cracking necessary wink ).

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-06-04
11:52:08

You're right, it's the same series.

Also, there's a few more games that are not even on our site. JamesC has them up, they seem to be from the same series, and converted to NTSC by Jim Hehl. "Bazooka", "Wild Honda" are two new ones at least. Maybe they know something more about the origins?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024