Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-05-29
22:05:54
 Bug in Adventure Building System

I think I found a bug in Rachy's excellent Adventure Building System. It's regarding the save command, and it only affects longer adventures. ABS uses a lot of ROM routines, so it frequently switches back and forth between RAM and ROM. When the save command is called, it switches to ROM to use the keyboard-poll routine ($FFE4). If they player chooses Y at the final Are you sure prompt, everything goes well. However, if they choose no, it will just RTS, with ROM still on. So that's where the bug is: if the code that called the save routine is above $8000, the game will crash at this point.

The code in question is from $21BE-$21C9. You can set a breakpoint to $21C9, that's where the problematic RTS will be. It's also easily fixed: the "TAPE/DISK?" message contains two reverse on/reverse off character codes. The T and D were intended to be shown in reverse, but this doesn't seem to happen because of the graphics mode. Taking those out gains exactly enough room for an STA $FF3F (to see the RAM) plus a NOP to make it 4 bytes.

That is all.

Posted By

Rachy
on 2007-05-30
01:50:55
 Re: Bug in Adventure Building System

There are also some troubles with automatic navigation between rooms (I don't remember the exactly problem), probably I will fix these and release the sources if I find them somewhere.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-05-30
10:25:41

That would be very cool! All in all, your software is awesome. It's a really large project, a true gem on the Plussy, deserves respect.

Another thing that could be improved is to remove all hard coded text. (I'm not even 100% it's hard coded, I'm just guessing really based on looking at the code.) Example: the save question waits for "T" and "D" keys. If someone were to write a German or Hungarian adventure, this would have to be "Kazetta/Lemez?", "K" and "L" keys.

Posted By

Chris
on 2007-05-30
14:58:15

I completely agree with Csabo on this subject. Rachy's Adventure Building System is an amazing piece of software. Its a joy to program with, and I find it so flexible. Hopefully more people might be tempted to use it in the future.

Posted By

Rachy
on 2007-05-31
01:36:49

Thank you guys. I do have the disks with the sources somewhere...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024