Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-04-17
18:42:09
 Which is the fastest tape turbo save/loader?

I benchmarked some back in the early 90s but there was almost no difference speedwise and some where obviously just "derived" from the same source.

I'm asking this because even if 1541s are avaible at ebay some ppl who still have a plus/4 just have a 1531 and some nice productions might get them interested again.

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-04-17
18:50:50
 Re: Which is the fastest turbo save/loader?

As a loader (1541) I loved the TSS3 DiskTurbo.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-04-18
10:30:34
 Re: Which is the fastest turbo save/loader?

Oops :D I didn't write that I meant TAPE turbo loaders. Luca, can you please change the topic to "... fastest TAPE turbo..."? I think you are empowered to do so wink

Even if tape use seems obsolete nowadays... For some it's probably the only way to see stuff on the real machine.

Posted By

TPSH
on 2007-04-18
12:14:09
 Re: Which is the fastest tape turbo save/loader?

copy minus! happy

Posted By

RĂ¼diger
on 2007-04-18
14:24:21

Very fast is the Turbo Tape in the Turbo Plus cartridge. And the fastload from cascade games for the c-16 version of A.C.E.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-04-18
15:21:42

Does the Turbo Plus cartridge turbo tape work even if the cartridge is not plugged in? I don't remember because I don't own this cartridge and have used it only once in the late 80s before I had my own plus/4.

Most turbos I have seen use the "save name" beyond char 0f for code. If the Turbo Plus one works like that, too, it should work without the cart. Can anyone confirm this?

Posted By

TLC
on 2007-04-21
15:36:13

You can check mine... (it's not a Her Turbo but a C64 compatible turbo derivative). It's pretty quick... might be a good candidate.
MegaCopy V1.1

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-05-25
23:49:32

This is actually a pretty good topic. I think we should try to spend a bit more time on it and turn all of this stuff into some useful information. What we would need is test all of the available turbos using a large test file, and create a table out of the results. Fields would be:
- Turbo name
- Resulting file size (in Kb, smaller is better obviously)
- Memory area available for programs (e.g. $1000-$FD00, or sometimes less)
- Screen on/off while loading
- Special effects (e.g. flashing color, plays tune, none, customizable, etc).
- Autostart (not available, run only, run or sys)

Can you guys think of anything else? Also, does anyone want to volunteer and do this? happy

Posted By

Chris
on 2007-05-26
05:49:09

Speaking of turbo loaders, yesterday I was looking through my collection and found a turbo loader that doesn't seem to be listed within the database. Its from a UK magazine called Your Commodore, on a cover disk. Tried it and it works brilliantly. Check its out http://www.commodore16.com/php/images/PLUS_4_TURBO.PRG

Chris happy

Posted By

Chris
on 2007-05-26
05:51:22

oops I just found it listed, I will take the last comment back

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024