Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Lavina
on 2007-01-02
08:00:27
 only in Hungarian

An interesting and very true text from an interesting guy about the scene feeling.

http://www.tomcatpolo.hu/blog/blog/blog/20061229.html

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-01-02
11:08:57
 Re: only in Hungarian

Interesting, pessimistic. He does write some true stuff about the old-school scene feeling - he (like us) experienced it first hand. I don't agree with his views on the future though. Things usually balance themselves out. But anyway, that part is off topic, so let's just leave it.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2007-01-04
06:28:49

the only problem with tomcat is he a racist.. i saw it on tv

Posted By

Lavina
on 2007-01-04
08:52:05

right. But this has nothing to do with the scene feelin' n' stuff.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-01-04
09:02:36

I don't know the guy at all, but like I said he's right about the scene feeling, and I agree that it's sad that it's fading away. However, this is nothing new. It happened to lots of generations before us: the era, the "feeling" they grew up in changed, disappeared. Maybe it will happen to our children too.

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-01-04
09:38:39

Tamàs, racist against which race?

Posted By

Lavina
on 2007-01-04
11:08:40

Csabo, like the hippi era? happy Woodstock lives. We can mention a lot of things. But I'm interested only in the scene...

As for racism, I think there is only one "human race", as we share the same number of genes. So there is no point in talking about that.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2007-01-04
12:42:31

Can someone (roughly) translate the text? I'd be interested.

A little story that fits the topic: Some former TEK-Members from the Amiga-Division (now: Neoscientists) released a PS2-Demo on TUM 2006. (Have a look: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=28494 , note the oldschoolish music and read the upscroller at the end wink ) They told me, they also can feel some lack of what you would call "scene-spirit". Anyone who attended BP06 might have noticed that aswell: Especially the PC-Demo-Compos induce a shift from "valueing code" to "valueing technoid graphics and design". Dr.Doom^IRIS started a discussion about this on pouet too.

p.s.: Tomcat has a nice shirt in his shop that shows an iconic picture of a tractor and the word "paraszt" underneath it. Sadly, he hasn't got *these* shirts in his shop at breakpoint.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-01-04
14:02:07

I think the "valuing graphics and design" vs "valuing code" has started in the PC demoscene community a long time ago, but that again is off-topic. I tried the video for the above mentioned demo but can't play it, doesn't know what codec is needed.

As for translation, it's sooo long... And not that important/interesting happy Here's my one sentence summary: old-school scene times: good; new times now-that-the-internet-has-ruined-everything: bad.

"Paraszt" used to mean simply peasant. It had no negative meaning as far as I know. In current slang (well, we used to use this way back in the 80's too) it means "uneducated person", lamer, basically it's offensive. I don't find that t-shirt funny at all... Eh, maybe I'm just getting too old.

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-01-04
15:44:25

Lol! Csaba internet ruined you too :D
Sometimes I look back and ask to myself the Question:"Why do I loose my spare time doing so weird stuff on this more-than-a-calculator-of-my-past-highschool machine?", and I feel I'm scared 'coz some possible answers.
Well, probably Tomcat crossed the other answer.
Which's yours?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024