Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Rachy
on 2006-11-28
01:30:56
 DMCA changes

Here is an article from Yahoo about the recent changes of DMCA:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061123/ap_on_hi_te/digital_copyright

The interesting part is: abandoned software can be distributed, as it seems...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-11-28
09:03:26
 Re: DMCA changes

Yes, finally! Now we can upload all the Plus/4 software to a server and make it public! Oh wait... wink

Seriously, this is very good news. Although it said "...computer software and video games that require machines no longer available, copy-protection controls may be circumvented for archival purposes...". That's just the article though, so who knows how the legalese actually play out for us, or if they consider the Plus/4 "no longer available". Plus it said these exceptions expire in three years. But very good news nevertheless, it only makes sense, and it's a step in the right direction.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2006-11-28
09:16:17

I believe it means you can only copy the original media for your own use.

Posted By

Crown
on 2006-11-28
12:10:33

This has been in effect since 2000. It is basically an exemption to the DMCA, and it is reviewed every 3 years. It will be next reviewed in 2009.

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

It only allows preservation or achival, nothing more, and I would imagine it only applies to the US, and specifically US products.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-11-28
19:23:42

Csabo and I spoke of this privately when I found Fantastic Four.

DMCA applies to US residents, and visitors to the US while they are in the USA. It does not apply to someone who resides in Canada or Hungary or Germany or Italy or anywhere outside the US (unless they are a US citizen).

DMCA applies to any software sold, manufactured, written, distributed, or downloaded in the US, regardless of its' original source.

Shortly: I, being a US citizen, have to follow this law... even if I'm visitng SVS in Italy! You, outside the US, are not subject to this law --- OR its' exemptions.

And as Ulysses pointed out, the law only allows for archival purposes, not distribution.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024