Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

indi
on 2006-10-27
11:39:47
 Re: SID cards.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a SID card that people can actually buy - instead of just hearing about them and using it through emulators. But, I'd also love a 256k memory expansion, and theres no way I'd manage to do that myself, so a nice cartridge one would be ideal! .....but I also love my SID card..... happy

Also....Its always the case that you have to build it and make it readily available before anyone will support it with software.

I an curious though.....If someone had made a memory expansion back when the +4 was going strong (well....sstrong-ish), would that have made it any LESS a +4 now? Or is it simply that the current retro programs won't use it - so it's not a +4. C= themselves made a 256k+512k C64 Ram expansion, but that doesn't make it any less a C64. Just my opinion though happy

The problem with making a new +4 compatable machine is that people view it as a new machine - although this hasn't stopped the DTV. If the DTV was sold with a keyboard and MMC "disk drive", I think more people would be interested in it. But as it is, its ONLY hardware hackers that can play with it - which is a pitty. Its also nice and cheap... I have seen a hardware hack where it put one of them inside a C64 keyboard - this was pretty cool.

Its a pitty about the missing lines, but I having access to slower memory (via DMA) would probably be fine and let us stream stuff in as we need it. Same for the IDE/MMC etc. Just being able to access it would be fine - mass storage via this would still be quicker than floppy. For a ROM, can't you put a FLASH-ROM on the cartridge port that could install keys (like 3-in-1) and just do a kernal PATCH or something?

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024