Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2006-10-26
07:24:42
 Re: SID cards.

About the new SID card...

I wish the developers would care about an issue that has been brought up by Bionic a while back, ie featuring the original C64 clock to make C64 SID tunes sound like they are supposed to sound. It's a (sad?) fact that most musics are taken from the C64 and not orginally composed on plus/4. Some ppl might argue that they don't hear the difference. But to many SID freaks it's very obvious.
Maybe it's possible to have both clocks available? I'm not into hardware and don't know if this adds a lot of extra stuff but I would really like to see this.
Furthermore, I think the joyport shouldn't be optional but already mounted. The SIDcard (by SOLDER) had it and it became a standard, even if not many apps use it. One could argue "Why include it? The plus/4 already got two joyports. And there aren't many apps for it anyway." However, having a standard SUB-D 9 pin connector allows you to use standard "Atari" joysticks without needing an adapter and one can use the CBM mouse. Moreover, it's not really hard to patch a game for the SIDcard joyport when it already supports joysticks. And if the hardware already decodes $fd80 for it, why not go all the way? So please include it, it won't add much to the price.

Something else... What about audio connectors? I'd rather see cinch connectors because the 3,5mm plugs wear out easily. This would make handling of two SIDs more obvious, too, since each one gets a dedicated output.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024