Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

indi
on 2006-10-24
16:26:11
 Yape

Okay, 2 quick questions....

1) What does the FPS in title bar of YAPE mean?

2) Why is it slower on NTSC (40fps, and not 60fps)

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2006-10-24
17:20:07
 Re: Yape

Try different settings in the Screen > Maximum FPS menu.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-10-24
17:23:58

FPS is frames per second. I get 60fps at 100% (normal) speed on NTSC, but only 85fps at 200%. It's a limitation of my hardware, I'm sure.

How fast does your PAL FPS run?

Posted By

indi
on 2006-10-24
17:46:25

"FPS is frames per second"
happy I guessed that - I was asking if it was somehow timing the running game (an approximation), or if it was the running speed of the emulator.

PAL runs full speed all the time, but NTSC is sitting at 100% 40fps.
It doesn't appear to be rendering speed as if I make it actual size (not double sized), speed doesn't change.

If I TURBO it, I get 827% at 58fps. It feels like a bug is all....

Screen MAX FPS is set to 85. (also tried at 60)

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-10-24
19:37:18

Gaia will probably clarify this, but I *think* the FPS is inverse of the running speed.

FPS is simply how quickly YAPE refreshes the screen, and the higher the FPS the slower YAPE runs. 100% is a good balance between emulation speed and frame rate on my system. If I kick YAPE higher, I get keyboard problems (double characters as well as missed keypresses).

Unless you're trying to run an NTSC demo (like there's a lot of them to try, haha) I doubt you'll miss anything by running NTSC mode at 40 FPS. And since I'm not much of a demo person (I used the Plus/4 mostly for applications, drawing pictures, a few Infocom games) I don't really need a faster frame rate.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2006-10-25
08:30:09

I thought it was not very complicated: fps is counting the number of frames rendered and blitted to the screen per second. The speed in % is however the actual relative speed of the whole emulated machine (TED, CPU etc.). The fps is capped at your monitor's maximum refresh rate minus 2 by default, or calculated dinamically when toggling to full throttle speed. As for the 40 fps in NTSC mode: this should not have happened, it could be a bug. Please check it with a previous version (simply alter the download link appropriately) and report back.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024