Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

mhanoldt
on 2006-01-12
15:03:58
 Structure of Game Files

Hi - all together! Can anyone explain me the contents of a PRG or TAP game file and how to determine the starting address? I've written an own C16 emulator and would be glad to play a downloaded game. Hints can posted on this forum or sent directly to my email address mhanoldt@aol.com. Many thanks from Michael

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-01-12
22:00:21
 Re: Structure of Game Files

A .prg file has its' load address as the first two bytes, in low byte/high byte order.

Hence, a .prg that has a load address of 01 10 would load to $1001 (decimal 4097), and would most likely be a BASIC program or a machine language program with a BASIC loader.

A .tap is a computer image of a sound file (like the computer code equivalent of an .mp3 file). Unless you've coded the routines to deal with this, you might be better served downloading the .prg equivalents of the games you wish to play.

If you have coded disk simulation routines, you can also use .d64 (1541 disk image) files. Some of the new software that will be out in the coming months will have 1581 support, so you might want to code some .d81 routines as well.

Posted By

mhanoldt
on 2006-01-14
07:09:50

Hi - James, thank your for your help. Really it was a simple item, I had to recognize it myself. Now I'm going on extending the emulator to add outstanding features. Michael

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-14
09:53:55

Hi Michael,

First of all good luck with your emulator. Are you going to reveal some more details or perhaps upload alpha versions or screenshots somewhere? (And just to make sure: you do know about YAPE, right? happy)

Posted By

mhanoldt
on 2006-01-15
22:34:54

Hello - Csaba, actually I not intend to show my emulator. I developed just for my own pleasure in greater time intervals. The current version is leaved alone since 1995. It's a DOS application written in assembler without a comfortable user interface. Some special hardware features of the original are missing, after all the OS and many games work well. If you are interested, I can upload a memory game for 2 - 4 players. It could enjoy. Best wishes from Michael

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-17
10:11:52

Sure, I'd be interested happy

Posted By

mhanoldt
on 2006-01-19
00:23:02

Hi - Csaba, I've send you two games per email. Many greetings from Michael

Posted By

mhanoldt
on 2006-01-20
08:06:24

Hi - Szabo, I'm very encouraged about your rating of my two games. Of course you can put them in the archive - but stop! What do you think about translating to english versions or refreshing the copyright before?

For my emulator: I own a disassembler listing of the C16 ROM with comments and I know some details about the 7501 and 8360 (keyboard and joystick input, video output, sound, ROM banking...), but not everything. Can you give me a hint, where to find informations about special addresses like near $0000 and greater $FF00 and so on?

Do you know that Omega is still going strong? I visited two of their shows in Slovakia and Germany. Great! There are many homepages for this issue. I can send you a song from your childhood. Which year?

What kind of text applies for this forum and what applies for private emails?

Best wishes from Michael

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-22
19:34:20

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I was without an internet connection for most of this weekend. I think it's best to archive releases AS IS. The old copyright messages in scene releases don't mean much (since it's freeware anyway), and I wouldn't worry about the language either. That's why we have additional info on releases.

Off topic: Omega is a great band, and like I said I do remember listenning to a lot of their songs (the one that first comes to mind is "Gyongyhaju lany"), but I wouldn't say they are my favourite. That's because my favourite is Solaris. I recommend it to anyone who like progressive rock to check them out. They will have a 25 year reunion concert this year, but I won't be able to make it

Posted By

mhanoldt
on 2006-01-23
02:26:35

Hi - Szaba, you can do it - put them in the archive like they are. Which details do you need yet to complete it?

Posted By

SVS
on 2006-01-23
02:43:59
 Re: Structure of Game Files - Programming info

@mhanoldt:
all the info you need is in:
SVS-Ultimate-Map

You'll find any known info regarding RAM, ROM, TED, I/O and much more.
Feel free to ask me for other formats if you cannot open XLS files.

Posted By

mhanoldt
on 2006-01-24
02:25:46
 Re: Structure of Game Files - Thanx

OK - I want to say "Thank you!" for all who were interested in my issues and gave me some assistance - especially JamesC, Csabo and SVS).

A last question is remaining: Lando (Great UK) and SVS (Italy) play MERK-AS together (see screen shot), how it operates?

Posted By

SVS
on 2006-01-24
08:42:55

>>>... play MERK-AS together...
sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Could you tell it with different words?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-24
09:32:27

Hehe, that was me. When I take screenshots of games, I always try to get one in a meaningful state (ie. midgame). If a game asks for the player's name, I usually pick Lando out of respect, or sometimes some other scene folk just for fun happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2006-01-24
09:40:01

Few! For a moment I've thought you've spreaded my secret of tele-transport system, ooopsss...

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-01-24
18:42:41

In reality, Csabo messes his hair up when he plays Lando, and he wears dark sunglasses when he plays SVS, and wears a Donald Duck suit when he plays me. happy

The names in the screenshots are just to show that the player can enter his or her name (or someone else's if they want).

SVS, we already know of your teletransport system. It's the room with the water dispenser and water receptacle, and it is powered by toothbrush action. wink

Posted By

mhanoldt
on 2006-01-25
02:16:33

OK, OK - it was very pleasurable to read your explanations for this misunderstanding. Bye!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024