Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-07
15:20:30
 Naming Releases

We should come to a consensus on the official naming of releases. Here's what I propose:

- If a particular piece of software was only released by one company, the release should be called the same name as the software. (And on those we go by cover.) Example: "Kane"

- More companies released it: "Way of the Exploding Fist - Melbourne House", "Way of the Exploding Fist - Ricochet".

- Multiple releases from one company for one software: "Jump Jet - Anirog - Original", "Jump Jet - Anirog - 64K Label", etc.

So basically it's (Software_name)[ - (Company_name)][ - (Extra_qualifier)]. Note the spaces on both sides of the dash. Perhaps we should add the company name all the time, the first way may be simpler, the second way may be more comprehensive. Any thoughts?

I think once we have this one down, we will be ready for some serious cataloging.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-07
17:15:28
 Re: Naming Releases

I forgot to mention, another option would be to add the word "release" after the company name, e.g. "ACE - Gamebusters Release". I personally would be against this, but hey, let's hear (see, read) what you all think.

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2006-01-07
17:36:14

Look at this please.
This is a short part with Kingsoft Stuff from my Price-Guide. In the Guide its with date of Realease and diferents between some Alternative Covers
With Colors and Pictures its looks like great.

Bongo Big Box
Bongo Construction Set
Bongo Construction Set Disk
Brigehead Doubel Box with Instruductions
Brigehead Doubel Box with out Instruductions
C16 Compilation Grandmaster / Tom / Galaxy / Ghost Town
Chipy
Chipy Disk
Crillion Doubel Box
Crillion Disk
Demolition Doubel Box
Demolition Disk , Blue Kingsoft Logo
Demolition Disk , Black Kingsoft Logo
Die Seefahrt
Die Seefahrt Disk
Emerald Mine C16 (64 K) / Plus4 Disk Disk
Emerald Mine C16 (64 K) / Plus4 Disk
Emerald Mine II Disk
Fire Galaxy Big Box
Fire Galaxy Disk
Fortress Underground Doubel Box
Fortress Underground C16 Disk

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-07
17:39:10

Well, first you have the typos. "Doubel" is not a word, I assume you meant "double". "Without" is one word I think. Other than that it seems a bit random. What is your system? Game name, then box type? I also think it would be important to separate the proper "game name" from the other qualifiers with a dash at least.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-07
17:45:14

Uh, sorry for talking to myself, but there's another thing I just thought of because of C16 Chris' list. We should add "box type" to the release name. It would probably be (Software) (Company) (Boxtype) (Extra), and it would probably cut down on the use of extra qualifiers.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-01-08
00:35:53

Csabo,

Having such long names for programs is gonna get confusing..... and it'll screw up the game names on the Covers of the Day.

I propose a simplified "Program Name" name with a qualifier of Roman numerals when more than one of that name exists. This would be similar to how imdb.com differentiates between actors/directors/authors with similar names.

If you wish, when one searches for a program, then the results page can display more information based upon information in the individual records.

Example search: Exploding Fist

Sample Results List:

(3) Results found:
Exploding Fist +4 : TCFS, 1993 : (Download)
Way of the Expoding Fist (I) : Melborne House, 1986 : (Download)(View Cover)
Way of the Exploding Fist (II) : Ricochet/Mastertronic, 1986 : (Download)(View Cover)

In the above example, I used colons (happy instead of trying to format this post into columns. My intent is to make this example similar to the existing search results function.

By this example, once could view the record by clicking on the title. One could download a designated "primary download" in .prg format (for maximum emulator compatibility) from this site, if one exists, by clicking (Download). Or, if one needs to see just the cover, they can click (View Cover) if this site has a cover for that release.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-08
09:23:09

James, it sounds like you misunderstood the issue. We are not renaming programs (let's keep using the term software though). We will add new records for each software, called a "release". So Covers of the day, etc would not change.

When we will build the release list, we will also add the member inventory. E.g. you will be able to mark down that you own "Way of the Expoding Fist". It won't be linked to the software though, but to the release, which IS linked to the software. In other words, it's no point saying "I own Way of the Exploding Fist and have it for sale/swap", 'cause it doesn't tell us if it's the Melbourne House or the Ricochet release. That's why we need to come up with "official" names for the releases.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-01-08
11:10:41

I thought we had just about settled on completely reconfiguring the database?

If we are, then why not incorporate "official names" and "common names"? That way when we talk of a software program (such as Exploding Fist or The Hulk) in casual conversation (game hints, bugs) we don't have to be official and can link to a "master" record. And then when we get to trades, I can say I have "The Hulk (I)" and you have "The Hulk (II)" without having to type out the whole "The Hulk - Commodore US - Disk" and "The Hulk - Adventure International - Black Box - Cassette" thing.

I'm looking at when we type the double brackets to make a link in the forums, as well as in the news, etc. Plus this way you won't have to code a whole new search function to go with the new database.

I've just written a sample record on paper, allowing for releases and covers and rarities. I'll scan this in, as well as scan in a page or two of a Matchbox rarity guide, so you can see where I get my ideas.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-01-08
11:15:21

It occurs to me:

1) I should make sure I have my whole idea across before hitting the "post" button; happy

2) The users that want to enter their inventory on this site (for trades or just for bragging rights) will still need to verify their inventory against the database before they (upload a list / check a list of boxes / email a spreadsheet / etc). I don't expect the site to present a full and complete list of all known titles, covers, media formats, and publishers with a single click of the mouse. And if the site did, and everyone here selected that option, there's the bandwidth issue with the hosting provider.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-08
15:01:36

Yes, we're "reconfiguring", but software records stay pretty much the same. The sure, some fields will move out to "release" records, but it's no change. We already have "release" linked from the "ProgramCreator" table, when the verb is Released By. But that single entry should be a whole record, with year, orig price, product code, rarity, media type, box type, notes, etc. *And* we need a name for them.

In the future we could think about some automated export thing. That's a whole chapter on its own. But initially there will be just one form to add which releases you own. Perhaps a sheet like the 'qvote.php' here, so you'd enter one letter, get a long list, and check the ones you have. One step at a time happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-09
15:44:04

I have to re-open this thread... This is a very important issue, and I haven't heard back any definitive feedback. I thought more about this, and I think it's necessary to include the (company name) all the time. The reason is simple: let's say Kane was only released by one company, so we all start referring to it as Kane. But then let's say we find a rare re-release by someone, like Gamebusters or something. So now we have "Kane" and "Kane - Gamebusters". If someone lists only "Kane" you can't be 100% sure it's the release YOU think of. So all the existing lists become invalid/incomplete... If we named the thing "Kane - Cassette - Mastertronic", then we don't have this problem.

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2006-01-09
19:19:12

And what is with the case ?
Think at Gullwing Falcon from Gremlin Graphics one Game two diferent Boxes (the normal Tape case & the Big Box).

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-09
22:01:41

Yup, that would be handled. So I'm still suggesting (Software) (Company) (Boxtype) (Extra), see above. They would be "Gullwing Falcon - Cassette - Gremlin Graphics" and "Gullwing Falcon - Box - Gremlin Graphics", or whatever the package name is for the second one.

Everyone agree?

Posted By

Plus4Vampyre
on 2006-01-10
04:24:39

I am using a database to administrate my collections. The order of the table is (software) (company) (medium) (box type) (extra/special). In the case for Gullwing Falcon - it would be:
Gullwing Falcon - Gremlin Graphics - Cassette - Default box
Gullwing Falcon - Gremlin Graphics - Cassette - Big box

and another example
Winter Events - Anco - Cassette - Double size Box
Winter Olypiade (aka Winter Events) - Kingsoft - Cassette - Double size Box
Winter Olypiade (aka Winter Events) - Kingsoft - Disk - Disk Box - Blue Kingsoft Logo
Winter Olypiade (aka Winter Events) - Kingsoft - Disk - Disk Box - Black Kingsoft Logo

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2006-01-10
04:42:46

I have sort my list so:

Addictive
Football Manager Small Case
Football Manager Double Chase - Win a Trip Cover

Adventure International
Gremlins the Adventure Big Box
Gremlins the Adventure Big Box - BBC Cover with C16 Sticker
Spiderman Light Yellow Sticker with C16 & Price on Box
Spiderman Yellow Sticker with C16 on Box
Spiderman Grey Sticker with Price on Box
The Hulk Light Yellow Sticker with C16 & Price on Box
The Sorcerer of Claymourge Castle Light Yellow Sticker with C16 & Price on Box

Alligata Software Limited
Blagger

Alternative Software
5 Pheenix
8 Soccer Boss with Blue Band on Cup
8 Soccer Boss with Red Band on Cup
25 Indor Soccer
45 Saboteur !
62 Triple Decker 1
63 Triple Decker 2
71 Triple Decker 5
72 Triple Decker 4
82 Liberator
83 Fiends
163 Tower of Evil
225 Arthur Noid
320 Triple Decker without Cover
372 Who Dares Wins II

Posted By

Sidius
on 2006-01-10
06:10:42

...and what do the numbers signify before the game name?

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2006-01-10
07:34:57

The numbers was the original Product Code from Alternative Software

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2006-01-10
07:44:31

And what is with this from CDS Software LTD

Steve Davis Snooker C16 Silver Logo
Steve Davis Snooker C16 Silver Logo with Sticker C16/Plus4
Steve Davis Snooker C16-Plus/4 Silver Logo
Steve Davis Snooker C16-Plus/4 Golden Logo
Steve Davis Snooker Italy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-10
09:01:27

Plus4Vampire, doesn't "medium" (I guess you meant media) and box type overlap? Other than that, your list is almost the same as what we're trying to build. If you already have a db, you'll be able to help us a lot with the editing.

Let me know if you can think of items that don't fit the below list. I guess we can modify "Box" to "Disk, Box". Is there a "Cassette, Box"?
- 1 Cassette
- 2 Double-cassette
- 3 Clam shell
- 4 Vinyl case
- 5 Box

Also, maybe it is better to put company first. So it's (Software) (Company) (Box/Media) (Extra). I already built the tables, and currently I'm working on the script to auto-populate the new table. It will pick up all the existing data from various tables. It won't be 100% accurate, but it's a lot easier to go and correct a few than adding a 1000 new records. Right now it's just a "dry run": the script produces a list but doesn't create a record. When we can agree on this stuff, I'll try to finalize it and put it up for you guys to access, so we can make sure everything is in order.

Posted By

Plus4Vampyre
on 2006-01-10
10:56:52

Yes and no - on the one hand media and box type overlap - on the other hand you have to spit it up. Two examples: Kingsoft's Quiwi was avaibale in a VHS style box in two versions: cassette and disk but same box, so
Quiwi - Kingsoft - Cassette - Double Cassette Box
Quiwi - Kingsoft - Cassette - VHS Style Box
Quiwi - Kingsoft - Disk - VHS Style Box
Quiwi - Kingsoft - Disk - Disk Box
Anco Powerpack was avaiable on cassette in a disk box - thats two examples to slip it up.

I try to avoid to use the word 'database' for access, but what I did was a access database for my collection. The advantage is: I can use SQL statements and it's possible to export the tables to a txt or excel file. I can send you my access database, but two things. I have not implemented the box type yet (I was planing to do it asap) and the most comments are in german.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-10
13:41:14

You don't have to send me your db, soon you'll have access to the "common" one which we all can happily edit. Even with the above example we could have

Quiwi - Kingsoft - Double Cassette Box
Quiwi - Kingsoft - VHS Style Cassette Box
Quiwi - Kingsoft - VHS Style Disk Box
Quiwi - Kingsoft - Disk Box

Or is it really better to use two fields?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024