Posted By

Mosh
on 2005-11-25
20:31:13
 Interesting info

Sorry if this is old news, but it makes for interesting reading anyway:

http://www.commodore.ca/products/prototypes/Commodore_prototypes.htm

I found this passage really interesting:

"The MAX was a small sleek black computer with grey keys and red highlights. It had a built in vocabulary of 256 words and could be programmed to speak. It was also compatible with the low-cost modems that we pioneered (actually the first $100 direct connect modem on a cartridge was my idea and I contracted with a small engineering firm to do the work since our engineers were overloaded at the time). Anyway, this was an innovation we perceived as a "next generation" home computer that would expose first time users to some of the real "power" of computing - and we figured they would find their own individual uses for the database and spreadsheet features. We were also going to provide software programs to go with the spreadsheet, database, etc. - templates - for such things as mortgage calculations, some rudimentary accounting and so on."

I wonder what our machines might actually like have been if they were released as first envisioned.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2005-11-26
01:54:32
 Re: Interesting info

The quote you give is not accurate. It is taken almost word for word from "The Home Computer Wars", published by Compute! Publications in 1985.

The author had confused the MAX Machine (a C64 derivative) with the TED line.

I know I have read a "correction" or "rebuttal" to this from someone in authority (meaning someone more in the know than I would be) but I cannot find an online link. I have asked the comp.sys.cbm newsgroup for help on this.

For more accurate information from the developers of the TED line themselves, please view the Bil Herd/Dave Haynie video of earlier this year. It is posted for download on www.c128.com.

Posted By

Mosh
on 2005-11-26
02:49:12
 Re: Interesting info

Cool... Thanks for setting me straight happy

My Commodore history isn't real strong, so I'm a little bit likely to take at face value information on a site like commodore.ca, as to me, it looks like they have done their homework.

Thanks for the link to the vid too happy

Cheers

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024