Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2005-11-06
16:11:49
 MCI or IFLI are possible on Plus/4?

Hi,

I just reviewed the C=64 graphic modes, and I found two really interesting ones: the Multi Color Interlace (which is not the same as FLI) and IFLI (Interlaced Flexible Line Interpretation).
These ones sound new to me on PLUS/4, but maybe I am wrong.

MCI
"Multi Color Interlace generates 320*200 pixel resolution. You can use 4 colors in each 8*8 points big attribute cell. This mode also gives the possibility of mixing two colors together, so there are 4 of theoretical amount of 128 colors.
But how is it realised?
This mode uses two MultiColor pictures (160*200/4 colors in 4*8 cell), each using its own attributes (except the color RAM at $d800, which is shared by both"

IFLI:
Interlaced FLI generates 320*200 dots resolution using 6 colors in each 8*1 points big attribute cell.
This mode also gives the possibility of mixing two colors together, so it's possible to use theoretically 128 different colors.
In this mode two FLI pictures alternates each frame, but one of them is shifted one point to the side. This causes a visible effect of jerky movement from side to side
Fortunately, it also improves the fineness of C64 FLI mode (MMS: as it is 320x200 instead of 160x200 resolution).

My question:
- Has anyone tried to realize any of them on PLUS/4? The double resolution sounds nice (as I understood, the great Drea-M-time FLI of Larry/WLS still uses 160x200 resolution, with still great picture quality, how it would look like in 320x200?)
- Even more, the color mixing sounds great, as even on C=64 you could get "visible" 128 colors from the original 16. What do you think, what could be the number of reachable mixed color on PLUS/4? With 1000-2000 possible colors these picture would look almost the same as a PC JPEG in 320x200 resolution, almost without loss of colors. (which is still not the case on C=64, due to the max 128 colors they could reach after ALL these tricks)

You can find the details here:
http://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/gallery/gfxmodes.htm

Posted By

MMS
on 2005-11-06
16:15:30
 Re: MCI or IFLI are possible on Plus/4?

Hi, a correction

I did not finished the MCI description:
"Multi Color Interlace generates 320*200 pixel resolution.
You can use 4 colors in each 8*8 points big attribute cell. This mode also gives the possibility of mixing two colors together, so there are 4 of theoretical amount of 128 colors.
This mode uses two MultiColor pictures (160*200/4 colors in 4*8 cell), each using its own attributes (except the color RAM at $d800, which is shared by both).
These two MultiColor pictures alternates each frame, but one of them is shifted one point to the side. This causes visible effect of jerky movement from side to side. Fortunately, it also improves the fineness of C64 MultiColor mode, and gives painter larger color palette."

Posted By

TLC
on 2005-11-06
16:22:39
 Re: MCI or IFLI are possible on Plus/4?

Hi!,

Both are possible, of course. They're just not, or not widely used. (Very few guys have tried exploiting this kind of "interlace" on Plus/4... I'd say "fortunately" ... as I hate those flashy pictures myself wink |-))) ) For examples, check Larry's picture conversions...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024