Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2005-10-04
00:23:19
 Re: Using Commodore 1541 disk drive on a Commodore + 4

Geez... it's getting late for me (I'm in the States) and I didn't read your message through. It seems that you've already tried my suggestions in my last post.

If I may ask, where did you obtain your Plus/4? Did it come with an original power supply? Are you running it through a step-down comnverter? Your problems, after reading your post more closely, seem to point toward the Plus/4 thinking it's on a different frequency than the 1541s are running.... which could be possible if you have an NTSC machine with a PAL Kernal in it. It'll give you a display but the internal timing will be off.

If you have in NTSC machine with an NTSC Kernal, you'd only get a legible picture on your television if it's a multisync television (capable of viewing NTSC as well as PAL).

And.... do the drive lights glow brightly or are they faint? If they're faint then you don't have full power. A 220 volt machine that's only getting 110 volts will do this... and the original 1541s have dual transformers so it's just a matter of changing a wire to go from 110 to 220 or vice versa. The 1541-II doesn't have this option, you have to use the proper external transformer (which is the same as a 1581 transformer if you ever need one).

Ok I'm off to bed now, I'll be back in about 7 hours.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024